Sponsored by:

PSS9 install and Rear Drop Links

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 08:48 PM
aof
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up PSS9 install and Rear Drop Links

My buddy (Clib) and I installed Bilstein PSS9s with rear ROW TT sways this past weekend-took 6hrs. We were able to use the Bilstein droplinks (supplied) with enough clearance of the sway bar from the lower arm control. It required putting a collar above (with one below) the mount on the shock.
The car is lowered to within RS specs- 120mm fronts, 105mm rears. Going below this may require either Viper Bob's or RS links.
Alignment was set to RS specs.
Compared to the stock US M030 Monroe shocks/ROW M030 springs; its firmer and yet more comfortable ride- settings at 6f, 5r. I guess my stock shocks were shot!. Better handling too.
Many thanks to TroyN (for support), Edward (for pics and support), ViperBob and Steve W for showing me the light.
This is a great board.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2005, 09:16 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that picture taken from front looking towards the rear or from the rear looking forward?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:28 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

From rear looking forward left, right? Is that the left muffler?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:59 PM
aof
Instructor

Originally Posted by kkim
Is that picture taken from front looking towards the rear or from the rear looking forward?
Kkim- Yes, left rear, from behind. Thank you too, for the tip on the TT sway!....
Old 05-20-2005, 10:17 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Way to go. I think the PSS9s are a very nice suspension setup. I love the adjustablilty. You know you can drill out the TT Sways and add some adjustablity there if needed?
Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:18 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto what Randy said
Old 05-21-2005, 07:29 PM
aof
Instructor

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Way to go. I think the PSS9s are a very nice suspension setup. I love the adjustablilty. You know you can drill out the TT Sways and add some adjustablity there if needed?
Enjoy.
Yes- the adjustability is a great feature. I've been playing with different settings and its amazing how a 1 point shift affects the car handling etc.
Not sure if I'd overcome the limits of the TT sway- maybe on the track. Corner balance is scheduled for next week- will be interesting if that makes any noticeable difference on the street.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:03 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you have the time, and don't mind, would you please take some measurements of your ride height from the fender lip to the ground before and after the corner balancing? Just curious as to how much/little one can be off from an eyeball setting of ride height to one that is properly balanced. I never got the chance, or have the means, to corner balance my setup and am wondering if I'm close or not to what "perfect" should be.

Also, some driving impressions before and after corner balancing would be appreciated, too.

Mahalo
Old 05-28-2005, 11:33 AM
aof
Instructor

Just for the archives- Car was corner balanced yesterday.
Overall, the mechanic only needed to increase the right front by 4mm. Pretty much RS settings prior to balancing- 120mm fronts, 105mm rears.

Post CB fender height measurements; 24 7/8 rears, 25 left front and 25 1/8 right front.

Car weighed 3144 pounds with full tank, spare tire etc (without driver). Quite a surprise. We both need a dieting regime

Final weights

LF 681 RF 649
LR 1031 RR 997

Car doesn't handle differently pre- and post CB.

kkim, if you need additional info, pics etc, PM me.

What I really need is a garage in MN that can set kinematic toe. Forget the dealers
Old 05-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts
Talking

Above we see, "What I really need is a garage in MN that can set kinematic toe. Forget the dealers."

Big problem....the dealers are probably the only folks with the kinematic toe gauge. Porsche charges big bucks for the gauge now.

Real world, or so I have been told by a factory trained Porsche wrench, when the car is low (RS specs)...he says the kniematic toe is usually max'd out. Just my $0.02
Old 05-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kkim
If you have the time, and don't mind, would you please take some measurements of your ride height from the fender lip to the ground before and after the corner balancing? Just curious as to how much/little one can be off from an eyeball setting of ride height to one that is properly balanced. I never got the chance, or have the means, to corner balance my setup and am wondering if I'm close or not to what "perfect" should be.

Also, some driving impressions before and after corner balancing would be appreciated, too.

Mahalo
Hello Kelly,

The height measurement is from the underside of the suspension. This is because minor chassis twists and bends make the fender height irrelevent.

I have it somewhere... will see if I can quote "chapter and verse"
Old 05-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello aof,

FWIW, the tech specs in my RS manual state "weights must be within 20 kgs left and right"
Old 05-28-2005, 02:37 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Monique, sounds like he is right there as 20Kg translates to roughly 44 pounds difference side to side.

So, he has 32 difference up front and 34 pounds on the rear. So, he should be good.

Also, as Martin S mentioned. At RS height (which I am too), the Kinematic toe is maxed out. I was also told by the Porsche Tech that did my alignment that he couldn't even get the tool to hang on the arm correctly to meassure it.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:56 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aof
kkim, if you need additional info, pics etc, PM me.

What I really need is a garage in MN that can set kinematic toe. Forget the dealers

aof- thanks for the info. what you gave is sufficient... I just wanted to see how close mine is, relatively speaking, to a car that has been properly corner balanced. As far as a kinematic gauge, I bought one from Autometrics and use it when I align my car as no one on this island has ever heard of kinematic toe, less has worked on a 993 before.

Martin- Thanks...I have the service manual and know about the chassis measurement, but crawling under the car to get to those points is rather difficult. The fender measurement is far from "accurate" but it's just so much easier using that as a quick ref point.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Monique, sounds like he is right there as 20Kg translates to roughly 44 pounds difference side to side.

So, he has 32 difference up front and 34 pounds on the rear. So, he should be good.

Also, as Martin S mentioned. At RS height (which I am too), the Kinematic toe is maxed out. I was also told by the Porsche Tech that did my alignment that he couldn't even get the tool to hang on the arm correctly to meassure it.

OOOaaah! OOOaaah! hoe could I miss the lbs?? Sorry for the goof!!!

Quick Reply: PSS9 install and Rear Drop Links