Sponsored by:

Oil pressure at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 08:07 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure at idle

Checked the archives but nothing specific about this.

Replaced the driver side exhaust lifters due to one being louder than the rest. All was well and then I got a new chip which made the idle speed 800 rpm instead of ~950 rpm with the old chip. After the car warmed up fully at idle with the ower idle speed (didn't connect these at first), one lifter was louder than the rest again.

I figured I installed them wrong or something, so out they came again (fun). Now with them replaced again, the noise is back (only on one). This got me thinking, hmmm... maybe it's idle speed related (duh). With idle above 950rpm no noise (other than the clickity clackity that appears normal using the passenger side as a reference).

So this leads to oil pressure at idle concerns. When fully warm past the 194F mark, the oil pressure is a tad under 2 bar at 800 rpm (previously it was about 2.25bar at 950rpm). When revved to 2500 rpm it is at 5 bar but not pegged. Any cause for concern? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ken:

What oil brand and viscosity are you using?

How many miles on the car?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Ken:

What oil brand and viscosity are you using?

How many miles on the car?
Just replaced oil (same time as lifters) with Mobil 1 15W50. Previously had Mobil 1 0W40 and 15W50 mix (6 to 4). 69,739 miles. Burns 1qt/2000 miles.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:38 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Thank you sir.

No worries, mate. Thats the right oil to use for your climate (15w-50) and your oil pressure is just fine.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Thanks, Steve. So the single loud lifter at idle is no cause for concern?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:36 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Noisy lifters are caused by either a failed seal on the lifter body or foreign material inside the lifter passages from infrequent oil changes.

It IS cause for concern and should be replaced ASAP.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:45 AM
deltawedge
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Noisy lifters are caused by either a failed seal on the lifter body or foreign material inside the lifter passages from infrequent oil changes.

It IS cause for concern and should be replaced ASAP.

That's the point, I have replaced all three driver side exhaust lifters twice now with the same end result (ie one noisy lifter at idle). The sound it not coming from the intake lifters and goes away with a few hundred rpm increase in idle speed. I agree that one lifter should not be noisier than the rest. Where is the oild feed for the lifters (somewhere around the rocker arm shaft bolts, I'm guessing). Maybe there is some crud stuck in the passage way.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I know I sound like a broken record BUT if you don't know what size lifter Porsche installed at the factory then how do you know what size lifter to replace it with? (this is not directed at you Ken but to everyone in general) 0.5mm can be the difference between throw you in the backseat acceleration and just moving "fast."
Old 05-21-2005, 02:07 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had/have the same thing. The rear most cyl (closest to the muffler) seems to be louder and its not intake. I did mine a few times as well (burned up Steve W's phone line during the job...Thanks buddy ). Even the originals, the louder was the rear most and it took rev'ing up at 2000 rpm for a few minutes to get the noise to go away initially. I get the feeling it may be the furthest point and under the least pressure. Believe me I cleaned everything before it went back together and it still has the faintest of noise more than the others. Hell it could be a valve not properly seating, cut wrong....who knows, but with 100K on the clock I'm running with it and time will tell.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:04 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I know I sound like a broken record BUT if you don't know what size lifter Porsche installed at the factory then how do you know what size lifter to replace it with? (this is not directed at you Ken but to everyone in general) 0.5mm can be the difference between throw you in the backseat acceleration and just moving "fast."
Good point. I asked the parts guy at Sunset (in OR) and he said that if the motor hasn't been apart then the standard size is the one that is installed. Of course, that doesn't prove anything, but I'll check an intake lifter for the part number when (if) I ever take them out (no reason to now). BTW the non standard size lifters are $140 each compared to $36.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure at idle