Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag and seat belt lights stay on after fixing steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005 | 11:53 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Default Airbag and seat belt lights stay on after fixing steering wheel...

My steering wheel has been a little crooked for a while and I had my shop fix it in the last couple of days while it was getting the oil change, new pads, street tires back on and other nits and nats. Got in the car to drive away and the seat belt light and airbag lights stay on. Turned around, took it back in and they said no problem they would just pull it up on the computer and re-set the lights. Well, the computer wouldn't pull up the airbag light code for re-set. Tried for 20 minutes and I had to go. They said bring it back and they would fix it but I figured I'd give the Rennlist group a chance at diagnosis.

And before the old-timers start in on me...yes I did a search (actually a few). Most deal with changing steering wheels to non-airbag type and turning off the light (most just ended up disconnecting the light....) which isn't really my situation. Same steering wheel just 10 degrees or so straighter.

The puzzling part is that the computer won't bring up the code for the airbag to allow re-set. They said it might be that I need a new airbag control unit but it was fine until it was straightened. Could there be a wire not connected? Any ideas?
Old 05-19-2005 | 02:03 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Far as I know, '95's need the special 4-figure $$$$ computer diagnostic/troubleshooting machine - only one that works.

Might need a dealer visit.

Interesting, shop manual has no description of needing a code reset on airbag/steering wheel removal / installation. However, it does have almost 40 pages of diagnosing/troubleshooting airbag problems usng all sorts of fancy Porsche gizmos. So, bring the car to somebody with the right equipment and who knows what they're doing.
Old 05-19-2005 | 02:17 AM
CP
Race Director

I have a 95. I had a dead battery, and Bob had my battery disconnected for a few months when he was fixing my engine and turbo oil leaks. After the car is all together, my airbag and red ! lights stay on for about a minute every time I start my car. Then both will turn off by themselves.

I ran a search and found that this happens with battery disconnect, or key is left in the ignition when airbag/steering wheel are 'disengaged'. The dealer can reset that. I left mine alone.

I know my airbags work as they both deployed about two weeks ago.

CP
Old 05-30-2005 | 07:28 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Default Air bags and the Carrera RS steering wheel

Hey there - my first post. I have replaced my OEM air bag steering wheel in my '95 993 with an RS wheel. It looks great but of course the air bag light now stays on. I tried measuring the resistance of the air bag and built a resistor to represent the "missing" resistance of the air bag --no good still have the light. Diconnect the triggering unit under the console and the car won't start (I assume it also disables the ignition / fuel circut). Went to the dealer for non-related service and I asked to have the box reset.
They told me they tried twice but it (the air bag light) came back on. I've read that once the triggering unit registers(10?) faults it cannot be reset. Any ideas here. I know I can either ignore the light or pull the bulb but this just bugs me.
Old 05-30-2005 | 07:42 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the board 901, post a picture of the RS wheel. I am thinking about getting one, also. Where did you buy it and how much if I am be forward and ask? Thanks, David
Old 05-30-2005 | 07:56 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

I can't remember now where I got it but I know it was from one of the full page ads in Excellence Magazine almost a year ago. I think it was about $400.00. I'll get a digital photo of it an post it. It feels great and does not block any of the guages. You do have to buy the horn contact for a 964 to get the horn to work. The place I bought from didn't tell me that. It's considered a "Euro" part so typically the dealers have no intrest in helping you get one. Is it just me or are the parts people at the dealers really uniformed? Most didn't even know what I was talking about.
Old 05-30-2005 | 08:01 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Not all parts people at dealers are less informed about euro parts, but there are some that keep up or at least know where to send you. Like Jeff at Sunset motors.
Old 05-30-2005 | 08:08 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

posted this before but www.airbagonoff.com sells the disconnect kit. Around $35 worked great for me.
Old 05-30-2005 | 08:37 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Thanks from the new guy!
Old 05-30-2005 | 09:02 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

once you add the appropriate resistor and go back to the dealer for another reset, you should have no issues. If you do buy from airbagonoff.com, I would suggest skipping the $85 instruction manual. It won't be necassary for you.
Old 05-30-2005 | 10:00 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I re-built my '97 993 the air bag light was lit. After may contacts, I found that only the Porsche dealers had the high dollar computer that was required to reset the light. Another $50 and the light was out.

Quick Reply: Airbag and seat belt lights stay on after fixing steering wheel...