Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What's the best stuff for cleaning stainless steel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm they dont look as different on here as they do on my computer....tried adding one more pic to show.....but believe me the scratches are all gone and a deep shine is starting to take the place of the satin finish from before
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 510 Posts

NEVER use steel wool on a stainless part. It will leave iron deposits which will rust on the surface.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:40 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dhicks...much better!!!! With a little more work they will look like chrome.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:17 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Thanks, they are getting there and I WILL spend more time and get them like chrome eventually !!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeaaaa for Simichrome and some effort!!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK- trying to build some consensus here:

- Looks like wire wheels may be too invasive, causing more scratches to polish out later.

- Even the green 3M ScotchBrite pads may be too much. I found that they scratched the chrome wheels on my Bronco, but chrome is more sensitive than stainless.

- So after soap/water or Simple Green cleaning, it's otherwise done completely with cream polishes only, ideally applied with a buffing wheel (drill or Dremel) Preferred polishes: Autosol, Wenol and Simichrome, in that order. Perhaps finished by hand.

Anybody seen these polishes at retail? For some reason, I expect a Harley dealer would have maybe two of them...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
JPF
Intermediate

I have been using Blue magic for years with great results. Never occurred to me to try anything else, but there are some other great ideas here.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:05 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had really rough looking stock tips on my 95. I worked from a 120 grit sandpaper to get out the nasty curb rash (don't ask me what the PO was driving over) in four steps to wetsanding with 1300 grit. The result was not mirror like but definitely shinier than satin. This was good to make the tips look new but after a couple of thousand miles, they're pretty discolored again.

So hopefully good advice for working out scratches. I'm going to try out one of these polishes you all suggested and see how it looks tomorrow...
Old 04-21-2007, 11:37 PM
David Schiff
Instructor

Default stainless polish

i guess im in the dark ages. i use NeveRDull on the stainless on the Boat,f,47 ft of stanchions, fittings, cleats, the prop spinner on the Meyers, and the wheels/exhaust etc of the 993.
you can get fine scotch brite in a very fine form from your welding supply/abrasive wheel supplier, also a cloth wheel on a grinder and some fine wax , NOT ROUGE, works wonders and puts an amazing edge on knifes.
david schiff
i
Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it depends on the state of prep or the type of stainless to begin with. I tried NevrDull on mine and nothing happened. You have the stock pipes? Are they very shiny?

I have a feeling that all of these other polishes mentioned here (I tried some Mother's today) are exactly the same stuff. You rub them on naked stainless, it turns black, you wipe off.

Just curious, why not rouge?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:57 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

i used jewlers rouge on my knifes that i made[forged from 316 L stainless rod and valve stems from large valves] and i found its good for early buffing but for a blinding shine, a very very smooth and reflective surface, i used a finer compound on the buffing wheel, all of which assumes you can get the part to the wheel.\
i dont recall the name of the stuff, i have three bars, one of rouge, dark red, one grey and one white/silver and i use three differnt wheels. i used to think jewlers rouge was the finest grit but that was my ignorance.
i got the material from a welding supply shop and they had the finer grade scotchbrite pads too, hand size or will fit on power.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 AM
V
Drifting

Default Autosol rocks

Autosol gets my vote! I did this a couple of weeks back since my tips looked horrible.. Here's a before and after:

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: What's the best stuff for cleaning stainless steel?