Sponsored by:

SAI check valve wrench size

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The computer basically looks at the pre-cat O2 sensor to see if it senses all the extra O2 that would be injected into the exhaust steam when the air pump runs. The air pump blows fresh air down through the check valve into the SAI passages, into the exhaust stream and thus onward to the CATS. The theory is that the extra fresh air (oxygen) in the exhaust stream causes the CATS to heat up quickly. The computer looks at the O2 sensors before the cat to detect, while the air pump is running, that fresh air is being blasted into to exhaust. Since each side has a seperate O2 sensor pair it makes sense that at least one port on each side (1-2-3 and 4-5-6) be operating to give that side of the exhaust the fresh air. Once the air pump turns off the computer does not check for fresh air in the exhaust stream.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-24-2005, 08:34 AM
duc916
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any ideas on how to unplug the SAI ports. Here is what I have tried so far:

-Carb cleaner down the hole left from the check valve apply air pressure ~ 30psi.
- Push a wire up the hole to try and created a small passage to start with.
- Spray carb cleaner and sea foam from the exh port side to try and loosen some carbon
- Put plugs in the three right bank exh and try to keep pressure in the system, while poking the wire from the exh port.

No luck so far. I am thinking about taking the steel line off the left side and applying high pressure ~100psi directly to the left side and work it from the bottom with the wire. Has anyone tried to take off the steel line with the engine in the car? Thanks for the help.

Dan
Old 05-24-2005, 11:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Dan

The more you can focus or isolate chemicals and pressure on the ports that are clogged, the better. Your heading down the right path by doing so. Have you tried Techron, full strength?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:48 AM
duc916
Instructor

Chris,
I did not try techron yet, due to the warning about it in another post. I am thinking about using it when I take the steel line off. THis way it will be right at the ports.

Dan
Old 05-24-2005, 03:07 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I'm missing- the mechs have a way of taking the check valve out? Why is it not avail. at some level to purchase?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
duc916
Instructor

I am guessing that the engine is probably out when they take the system apart. Which would make a standard wrench work fine.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I'm missing- the mechs have a way of taking the check valve out? Why is it not avail. at some level to purchase?
It is, it's just a 27 mm crowsfoot or a 1" crowsfoot like the one I modified.

Quick Reply: SAI check valve wrench size