993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield replacement and rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield replacement and rear view mirror

I have to have my windshield replaced this week and want to have the car prepped as much as I can.

I will pull the wiper arms and wanted to take off the rear view mirror...problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to remove the mirror.

I am used to a set screw, but see none. Searched for the answer but one hit was this question asked with no reply and the other hit was Mike in MA stating after his install he needed to get a new mirror due to a different mount.

What's the deal with the mirror. Screw off? What does the new windshield come with? How do I take off the mirror and do I need to?

Any advice?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:57 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Evan
Why are you bothering to "prep" the car?

My advice is: assuming you are having the new windshield professionally installed, leave the entire job to the pros. When I had mine done a few years ago the price included full installation, the mirror was moved, the plastic trim piece in the trunk was removed, but not the wipers & the job took little more than an hour. Make sure the installer has 993 experience.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Dan - the guy does have 993 experience and I just figured I would make it as easy as I could for him. But I do see your point of letting him do his thing, since I do have full glass coverage. As far as the wipers, I didn't want them to come slapping down or be in the way. I may just follow your advice and leave it be.

Although, I am still wondering on how the mirror comes off.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently had mine installed too.

One thing the installer did was to allow the adhesive on the new glass to dry (or set) before he put on the outer seal. He said that by putting the seal on while the adhesive is wet has the effect of pulling the glass out and breaking the new adhesive bond.

He came back the next day and quickly installed the outer seal.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Out of curiosity, how much are you (Or the insurance co.) paying? I need mine replaced, and I'm waiting on a call back with a quote as I type.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Typhoon
Track Day

Make sure they fit the teflon tape, to avoid a squeaking windscreen.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:16 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis on 4-29-2003
... I needed to replace my already pitted windshield after catching a rock. Dealer replacement quotes were about $1000. On the strength of several Rennlisters' posts over the past few years I called Safelight (a nat'l operation). Their quote was just short of $400 installed. Had it not been for the positive posts here, I'd have moved on thinking, "that's too cheap to be good."

Last weekend I had my windshield replaced by Safelight. Result: an excellent install by a friendly, knowledgeable, "car nut" tech who took about an hour & had no trouble w/the antenna connection.
PS I did not remove anything from the car. Now, 2 yrs & a number of DEs later & all's still fine w/no windshield noises, no leaks, but a bunch of stone chips
Old 04-27-2005, 02:43 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

I am checking with Safelite in Northern Cal to see what they can do for me. I will report back what I learn. If you are interested in this vendor its easy to get a service quote by going on line and typing in Safelite, then follow the prompts. I hope to hear from someone tomorrow. Will report back on cost, glass availability etc. In reviewing past posts, the Nor Cal Rennlisters seem to have had quite good experience with this company. No affiliation here, just need replacement for my sandblasted windshield.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:49 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Evan,

No need to prep the car in any way - if the the installer has P-Car experience, they will do everything. The w/s wipers do not need to come off. The rearview mirror mount is bonded to the the new w/s and the installer will move your mirror over - its position will remain the same.

I had my front w/s replaced last fall (finally got tired of looking thru sandblasting) and didn't touch a thing prior to the car going in the shop - and you KNOW how weird I am. Used the Sigla (sp?) OEM glass, BTW.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:54 PM
rainmn
Instructor

Don't know how you guys got a $400 quote from Safelite. I just spoke with them....$802 installed. I asked if that was for OEM or Safelite glass, and she didn't sound sure. She thought it was for Safelite glass, since it was in stock and didn't have to be ordered.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i had a quote from safelite last september and it was about $470, but i seem to remember someone saying on this forum that price had gone up recently. in anycase, i decided to go with a smaller, local glass shop which agreed to meet me somewhere in the middle (they did it for $670 although they originally quoted me higher). although safelite was cheaper i liked the idea of going with an independent shop even if it was more $ especially since they were willing to work with me a little on the price
Old 04-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

You want to prep the car? Remove the top of the dash (a ROYAL PITA to remove; read the shop manual). It's what I did prior to taking the car into a Safelite shop for a new windshield (OE glass). The tech was absolutely delighted to see the dash top was removed already!

Otherwise don't bother with anything. I don't remember any problems at all with the wipers or RV mirror which I didn't touch prior to bringing the car in.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:57 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rainmn
Don't know how you guys got a $400 quote from Safelite. I just spoke with them....$802 installed.
Ray
My price was from 2 yrs ago in the midwest. AFAIK, the Safelite operations can set their own prices in their area. I'd expect East coast prices to be higher to reflect the higher overhead/labor costs. But then we've got lousy pizza & mediocre delis.

Ray (Calvo)
The dash top does NOT need to be removed. The antenna connection is reached from the trunk (w/a normal hand) - easier still if the passenger side hood shock is undone.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Safelite replaced my windshield this morning. $500 with the the new outer seal. I don't leave my wipers on the car so they didn't have to deal with that. Otherwise, they will take care of everything. Good luck.

Scott
Old 04-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Thanks all. I will leave well enough alone and trust..ahem...the installer to do his thing.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the teflon tape Typhoon speaks of. Is that part of the normal install anyway?

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement and rear view mirror