993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield replacement and rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 993's front glass replaced by Safelite about 6 months ago and it was about $450.

I'd like to hear how the mirror comes off as I need to remove the mirror in my 964 (it's been replaced by a nice wide track mirror that gives superior visibility).
Old 04-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd like to hear how the mirror comes off as I need to remove the mirror in my 964 (it's been replaced by a nice wide track mirror that gives superior visibility).[/QUOTE]

I didn't watch the installer remove the mirror but he commented that it just rotates off.

Scott
Old 04-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott - Thanks. That was the only way I figured it would come off, but wasn't sure. Now we all need to wonder how tight the mirror screws on so not to vibrate loose or pull the mount right off the glass.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan
I am used to a set screw, but see none. Searched for the answer but one hit was this question asked with no reply and the other hit was Mike in MA stating after his install he needed to get a new mirror due to a different mount.

What's the deal with the mirror. Screw off? What does the new windshield come with? How do I take off the mirror and do I need to?

Any advice?
Evan, the mirror comes off with quarter of a turn twist (counderclockwise, I think). The new glass must have a new mirror mount glued in. New style mirrors (thicker housing) use different mounts than the old style mirrors. Thus you might need a whole new mirror.

It's free in MA as our glass is covered in full by insurance, so they paid for the mirror as well. In your case, see if an old style mount can be bought. I doubt it.

All of this pertains to cabs, I don;t remember how the mirror is mounted in the coupes.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:12 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

One word of caution on the glass. Well, actually two:

1. Radio antenna is built into the front windshield, so make sure any aftermarket glass will have it.

2. German glass is soft. It pits very easily and in 2-3 years you see weird defracted reflections on the glass at night. American glass, namely PPG, is much better in that respect. I would recommend you go with PPG, as it's also about twice cheaper. Having said that, my new glass is OEM, but for reasons that have to do with warranty rust repair that was done at the same time (I wanted the dealer to make some money so they wouldn't have qualms about covering rust bubbles around windshield).
Old 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mike.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:15 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

Okay here is the currently available situation. I received a voice message today form Safelite with a quote for $580.58 plus tax for install of new w/s glass on a 1998 coupe. Not sure yet what glass is at play but will return call tomorrow and find out. Hopefully PPG glass but maybe something else. Stay tuned for further input on this matter.

Has any one asked about a group buy on this product? Not sure if any sponsors have this product on the shelf but maybe a nationwide group buy could produce a savings across N/A porscheland. Hope I am not advocating against the Rl protocol.

I will ask if a nationwide group buy ( from Rennlist members only of course) would be available and let yall know what transpires.

Regards, Gary

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement and rear view mirror