Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can mufflers be swapped without jacking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:51 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can mufflers be swapped without jacking?

Is it possible to swap cans - I'm replacing my stock with RSR's - without jacking the car or using ramps? Car is at stock height.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed my supercups by driving my rear wheels on a "speed bump". Little tight but not too bad.
I don't think I would've tried without anything but maybe possible.

Why not jack the rear up or use some ramps?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:01 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Why not jack the rear up or use some ramps?
Just laziness. I only have the jack that came with the car and don't own ramps. Guess I'll buy some.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:09 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

I've done the swap with and without a lift. It can be done without but is a very easy job with a little elevation. Isn't there a lift you can hire for 30 minutes?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:11 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I'll just get ramps. I should have some anyway. It's easiest for me to do stuff like this at night, so I'd just as soon do it at home.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Send back those cores!! Just kidding. Although I am on the waiting list.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:54 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my Supercups last weekend. Piece of cake with jackstands - I don't think I'd attempt it on the ground as I spent alot of time under the car especially while adjusting and tightening.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,815 Posts

You could back up to the edge of a loading dock or similar ledge - just don't go too far
Old 04-25-2005, 06:12 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

did mine by jacking up car just enough to fully extend the suspension without the tire leaving the floor a little tight but was done in about 2 hours.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:01 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy
Is it possible to swap cans - I'm replacing my stock with RSR's - without jacking the car or using ramps? Car is at stock height.
Don't even try it!!

It will be much, much easier on you with the car raised, either by ramps or with a jack and stands. Can be easily done in well under2 hours the first time with the right tools and some good penetrating oil.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:04 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go buy the $120 lightweight floor jack from Harbor Freight. Free delivery over $50 and this jack is super low. I use mine on both my Porsches at least once a week. I can't imagine not having it. Both cars are too low to drive onto Rhino Ramps.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Quite a few years ago I bought a beast of a floor jack that I use to lift the rear of the car. Bought it to remove my 91SC engine so I had to jack the car up to pass over the engine. I have some 1" thick rubber mats (the kind used in school playground) which I put on the top of the jack hat, and then jack the rear of the car up using the center rib of the engine. The car is fairly low so I drive the rear wheels up on 2x6's laid flat before I can slip the jack under. I then jack the car up so the rear wheels are a few inches in the air, put a set of jackstands under the jack points and then lower the car onto the stands. Then also chock the front wheels. When I am under the car the jackstands AND the large jack remain in place backing up each other. If the large jack is in the way I put another set of jackstands under the car under the suspension members...these are in case the primary set fails. Once the butt of the car is in the air removing the mufflers is a snap. Lowering the car is exactly the reverse.

I do not recommend using a small jack to lift the rear of the car up. By using a large (and relatively cheap) floor jack I get stablity and I know that the car is not straining the jack. The pad is large on the jack so the weight is distributed over a larger area. I just feel better using this method (until I get a 2 post lift....someday...)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
rainmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy
Just laziness. I only have the jack that came with the car and don't own ramps. Guess I'll buy some.
No way in hell would you catch me under the car, with only the tool kit jack holding it up. I tried that thing once, just for laughs, to see how it worked.....the car fell off of it.
Luckily, I wasn't doing anything at all, other then just trying to lift one rear corner up a little bit. No damage done, and a big lesson learned.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I must get more practice than most! I can jack the car up, put the rear on stands for safety, and remove my muffs and install bypasses in about 20-25 minutes.
(I have the engine tray removed and us the AC jack and jackstands.)
Old 04-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aluminum jack is down to $80. at Harbor Freight. It sure is handy after the beast of a cast iron Sears trolley jack I had been using.

You don't have to raise the car all that far - use the center of the engine - but I still would not go under there without jack stands.

Quick Reply: Can mufflers be swapped without jacking?