Sponsored by:

For those with Polar Silver cars....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:11 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For those with Polar Silver cars....

if you have had any repainting done or parts added, are the painted parts a perfect match on your car?

I've been trying to get some splitters and various add on parts for my PS car painted for the last 6 months, but the painter is unable to get a match of the paint close enough so you can't see a difference from the OEM painted surface and the added on pieces. I was wondering if anyone else has had work done on thier car and was able to get a match so close that you can't see any difference.

Am I asking for the impossible here?

Just looking for some feedback to judge if a perfect match is possible or not.

Thanks...
Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

I had the front resprayed on mine and can't see a difference. Six months is quite unbelievable!
Old 04-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Cy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kkim,

Sounds like a painter issue to me. I'm sure the paint on your car is not the same color as it was when it left the factory, but most good painters should know how to mix the new paint to match the old. Metallics can be more difficult to match. If he's having that much of a problem you have to wonder if he's starting with the right paint.

Regardless, 6 months is crazy . . . sounds like it might be time to take the best he can do and see if you're happy with it or find a new painter.

BTW, I spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii last year and 6 days in Kauai . . . Kauai was absolutely stunning!! I rented a place in Hanalei Bay. Didn't get to hike the Na Pali trail as I didn't get my passes in time, but I plan to return to do that hike sometime soon.

Regards,
Old 04-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, sounds like a painter issue. Mine matches fine.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silver is very hard to much, but it should match to the point that only a trained eye will tell.

FF
Old 04-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Becker135
Intermediate

Same here in Atlanta, I had a rear bumper cover matched perfectly.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:41 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

My ps car has the turbo front bumper, and at night and in certain light you can see the difference. Fortunatley, I have put alot of chips in it at the track, so I'll have it resprayed down the road and hopefully they will be able to get it right. I know one shop in town that has done some work on another rennlisters ps car, and it looks great!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:14 AM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb gee

....L have this feeling you be speaking about my ps 993
Old 04-20-2005, 01:27 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,960 Likes on 2,811 Posts

I had the Euro bumper mod done (removed bumperettes and patched hole) and added longer clear indicator lights). Had my whole bumper resprayed and it looks seamless...
Old 04-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I talked to my bodyman and he told me that Polar Silver was a difficult color to match. Its not just a color match, 911's have a grain to their paint. The painter has to "lay" the paint down in a certain direction so the grains in the paint are oriented the same direction as the old paint. If you lay the paint in the wrong direction the paint will have a different shade even if the color is correct.

I had the front bumper and nose on my 993 done when I bought it...the paint was quite chipped. The paint job is flawless and matches the old paint extremely well ; but under the right conditions with lighting at certain angles you can see a slight shade difference...good enough for me.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 03:42 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much for all of your responses. So, I surmise that Polar Silver is a difficult color to paint, but that a good painter should be able to match it and as some of you have indicated, do it almost perfectly.

The results I'm getting with this painter are far from satisfactory and feel I have spent way too much time trying to get a match. I'll collect my things from him, settle my bill and be on the hunt for another painter.

Mahalo everyone for your excellent feedback.

Cy- If you are ever back on Kauai, be sure to do some hiking in the Kokee park area. Miles and miles of hiking trails with breathtaking views of the Napali coast below.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:16 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelly,

I just bought a C2S split grille for my car from Gert. I'm having a SoCal body shop, Brace's, do the work. I will be interested to see what he says about paint matching. I am optimistic due to the fact that the car only has 11k miles on it. We'll see....and I'll let you know what happens & will post photos when complete.

Dave
Old 04-20-2005, 05:26 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Congrats on the upgrade. You must be in heaven. Please do keep me posted on how it goes. Would be very interested to know how well they match your paint.... and pictures are always welcomed.

Good luck... wish you the best.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:05 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It should match very close with high end body shop even with metallic silver and other color difficult to match. 99% of the people would not notice the difference. Much depends on lighting to really see the difference.

Just as data point when our cars were painted new, the bumpers were outsourced to be sprayed, I think in Italy. None were painted at the factory with the car. Bumpers can not be baked with the metal body as the plastic would melt with the high temperatures. Being the 1%, the bumper paint match is not 100% perfect match even when my and other 911s were brand new.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Mike
I had the front bumper and nose on my 993 done when I bought it...the paint was quite chipped. The paint job is flawless and matches the old paint extremely well ; but under the right conditions with lighting at certain angles you can see a slight shade difference...good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

I have exactly the same experience with my turbo bumper.
Sometimes it looks exactly the same, and others you can see a slight shade difference. Not sure if it was like that before I put on the new bumper six months ago, but right after a respray, one tends to obsess over these things...

Quick Reply: For those with Polar Silver cars....