Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:39 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just figured out how to reply with a quote :-)

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
I think RPM has beautiful cars.

I think Ray's prices are a bit on the high side....he thinks alot of his cars and/or there is a market for these things. I've heard from others that he doesn't negotiate much. Do a search and type in RPM...lots of posts on him specifically.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens when the 997 C4S comes out. I do think that it will create a slight downward force on the 993 C4S market....but what the hell do I know. I like the 997 but am really a hardcore 993 guy. Folks like me are the ones Ray preys upon
I hear you. I'm an ultra-hardcore 993 widebody fan myself. I've loved them since they first came out.

I'm mainly just curious to see how the 997 C4S looks - part of me is (probably delusionally) hoping it'll flood the market with 993 C4S cars from owners who are ready to upgrade their vehicles.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on RPM - I remember reading that you looked for a long time before finding your car. I'm girding for a l-o-o-o-n-n-g search for the perfect C4S myself. Congratulations on finally finding your dream car - it's gorgeous, and Polar Silver is my favorite color on the 993!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Park Place and a lot of private sellers ask prices that are not realistic...if this car is what you are looking for then start working with them on the price. You might be suprised. They are in Microsofts backyard and a generally high priced part of town and have a lot of people just walk in and buy something because it's "cute".

The other thing I can't understand with this thread is that it sounds like no one has thought of negotiating and would reject this car out of hand and look elsewhere. Do we all just pay the asking price? Well, maybe in this case it is too high to start with in the threads defense.

Anyhow, I bought my car there in '98 and I think they were asking over list for a 2 year old car with 19.5k miles. I got it for a good average price after some simple negotiating as I was a serious buyer.

I had the same type of issue when we got my wife what she wanted in December...an '01 SL500. The dealers asking price was on drugs but with some very, and I really mean very, civil negotiating we were at the right price and made the deal.

These guys buy at auctions or wholesale cars between dealers so there is room to work the price.

Now on the down side and something you can use to negotiate with...all the cars I have seen there have poor shine on the paint. I was there one Saturday early and saw the lot monkeys going from one car to the next with the same wash bucket grinding in the grime and so the paint never looks as it could.

Go in armed with all of your Rennlist knowlege and if the PPI checks out it might be OK.

Oh, I reread the HP statement and while I have always known more about the car I am buying than the sales guy, I think the way it is worded is correct. He says that the HP went to 282 in '96 and the ECU is upgrade in '97 which is correct and valuable to someone who wants to change the chip.

So while it might sound like I am defending Park Place I am not...every one of the SLs they had sucked and I never looked at the price as I never got that far. I ended up at the MB dealer.

Are you local to Seattle or is this an out of town deal. I'll go look at it if you want as will a number of Rennlisters would. Good hunting!
Old 04-16-2005, 08:39 AM
zero
4th Gear

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I've had a deposit with PP on a lotus elise since Nov 02 and it's coming in around May 8. I've also been a fan of 993's for a long time and have been debating whether to drop the Lotus for the 993 on the lot.

Some of it has to do with the fact that I have a deposit down on the Elise which they would apply to the 993, but if I don't pick up the elise I may lose the deposit which is why I was only looking at the 993 on their lot.

I agree that their list price is way too high as I've searched around for 993's on and off for the past year but I also think you'll pay a premium at any dealership as compared to a private party sale, as you do with just about any vehicle - and I'm ok with that.

I offered $60 and they came back at $62. I think I'll stick with the Elise, drive it for a year, and come back to a 993 next year, that way I get the best of driving both cars.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:11 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

As for your question on the 993 values, I really think that for whatever reason the later air-cooled cars are going to maintain value, regardless of what new Porsche comes out next--they are now all H2O cooled, and more GT machines than pure sports cars. It is VERY rare for my local P-car dealer [I pass it every day on the way to and from work] to have any 993s on their lot. Every time I see one I pull in to look at it, and a few people have upgraded to the 997--funny thing is that the dealers LOVE getting them in because they usually only see one every 6 months or so and when they have them they sell very quickly.

It just goes to show the love that a lot of Porschephiles still have for the air-cooled cars, even if they are less refined, smooth, and powerful...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:15 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

I purchased a 97 C4S with 26K miles for $52.5K last week (no aerokit, though).

Quick Reply: Help with Pricing