Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 3.8 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:42 AM
abar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said above and particulary as you're happy with 4wd, get a 993TT in the first place.

Other option would be a cheaper 993 in need of a top end overhall.

Al.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

The only downside is that with a 993TT you will end up spending more on mods 2 months down the road than the cost of the 3.8 upgrade today it's a double whammy!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:52 PM
glaffy
Advanced

Default 993 3.8

Thank you all for your replies - very interesting and helpful.

I did think about a turbo, but I don't particularly like the spoilered look. I much prefer the clean lines of the normally-aspirated car. I looked at a 4S, but I wasn't fond of the turbo-like aesthetics.

No arguing with the power and torque of the turbo though - I test drove a 996 (back to back with a 997CS) and found the turbo almost too fast (my current car is a 1974 Jensen Interceptor with a 440 cu in block producing only 250 true bhp so you can understand why...).

Steve McHale of JZ Machtech was extolling the virtues of the 3.8 - he says it feels like a V8 - but from what I'm reading the benefits are marginal at best.

Very interested to see that 9M are held in high esteem - I may give them a call, although a supercharger conversion makes me a bit nervous.

Unless anyone tells me otherwise, when I buy the car, I will invest in a LWF and performance chip and think about cost-effective ways of shaving some weight off the car. Any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks again all.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:16 AM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

TT is addictive but IMHO you will have more fun from the outcome of X51 upgrade rather than TT (The sound, linearity of delivery at every turn perhaps home, office, etc) without losing your license.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9M don't just do superchargers, but also remaps of chips, full Motec conversions like mine and of course engine rebuilds of all proportions. Costwise as I found out, 3.8 conversions are not cheap but if you don't like forced induction (i.e. huge wallop midrange and then a relatively wheezy top end, with the problems of throttle control mid corner that can supply) then there are not a lot of cheap options. BUT, the LWF conversion with a rechip could be more than worthwhile if you get somebody that knows what they are doing on the chip. I have a 964RS clutch and LWF in mine and I love it. On a 964 a full LWF conversion will cost around £1500 incl the parts.

BTW, the figures are of course not just about HP. The 3.8 conversion done right can definitely produce quite a lot of torque. I don't like to use my car as an example because it is SO modified (i.e. not just a 3.8 conversion with rechip), but my torque has gone from 231lb/ft or whatever the 964 achieves to 317lb/ft......but its all about the budget...and the knowhow of the outfit doing it.... Again, no affiliation blah blah...
Old 04-19-2005, 05:22 PM
glaffy
Advanced

Christer, thanks for your reply.

The way I've left it with JZ Machtech is that they'll dyno the car. If they find that it's low on power (I am told that many do not produce the factory bhp), I may consider a top end rebuild with performance chip and LWF. If the power is near enough to factory, then I'll just use the car until the engine expires.

I am a bit worried about the usability of car around town with a LWF, judging from the various posts on this subject, but it seems like it could be more fun.

I can't wait to buy and drive the damn thing....For now I have my ol' banger (Jensen) for company...
Old 04-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Glaffy,

Welcome aboard! For the money, the supercharger route looks rather interesting and you can always unbolt it and sell it separately if you end up selling the car (though most of us don't ever seem to ;-)). If you haven't had a 911 before you'll need three to six months to "bond with it" where at first you may start questioning why you got this stupid, old small car. However, once you have bonded you'll wonder how you ever put up with anything else and find it difficult to contemplate changing it (hence my comment above). They are excellent cars and it's probably worth not rushing into anything straightaway; this is normally a long term relationship.

JZ are very good (I use them) and will be honest with you regarding the state of the car and whether it needs any work. They can do a full rolling road chip remap to suit your car and full suspension alignment if you want to kick things off.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

David

PS I love the Jensen Interceptor; which one is it?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

christer

Could you tell us what mods you put into your car to achieve such sweet torque. How modify your car?. 9M?.

Last edited by Gelatomonster; 04-20-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:39 PM
glaffy
Advanced

Caveman, many thanks for your message. I'm about a week away from taking delivery of my C4 and wil report back on the bhp/lbs ft. I'm hoping the figures are low so I can justify the mods!

Re the Jensen, it's a 1974 Interceptor J-Series with low compression (8.2:1) 7212cc engine, producing about 280bhp and 425 lbs/ft or torque. Old school muscle.... most definitely not like a 993....
Old 04-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO... not very hot on SC's.

If you want the extra punch, get a real turbo.

Perhaps an RS.. I can keep up with the turbos to their great chagrin
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gelatomonster
christer

Could you tell us what mods you put into your car to achieve such sweet torque. How modify your car?. 9M?.
I was just saying the other day that I must get all of it down on paper before I really forget but in broad terms (there might also be a thread on the 964 board from last year but I can't find it):
3.8 Cup pistons
Carillo Rods/Bolts
310 degree cams
Titanium valvetrain
Motec M48 running bigger injectors
Ported heads
Gas flowed case and barrel mooning
LWF / RS Clutch
LSD
964RS brakes
H&R coilovers with RS sways
Veloce GT1 lightweight 18" wheels (8.5x18, 10x18 and 31kgs the set)
Standard exhaust with catbpass and secondary bypass (it did have a GHL setup before but it was holding it back). I can't remember any more right now, I will see if I can find the invoices....sigh...

At the time of the engine mods, the engine was also fully rebuilt top and bottom - I think the only major things that were not replaced were the oil pump and the crank (which was machined).

I am actually waiting for the car to be ready on Saturday at 9M - it arrived with aroind 279rwhp and about 280lb/ft.....so apparently there is quite a difference. Roll on the weekend!

p.s. the engine is good for 7500rpm, buit I think we have set the limit at 7250 - its not a 100% track machine after all.....
Old 04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow Christer!

That's some work. Dare one ask in roundabout terms what that little lot has cost (gulp!)?

Cheers,

David
Old 04-21-2005, 11:24 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Best bang for the buck from what I've read is simply to re-gear the car and leave the 3.6 alone.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by John H
Best bang for the buck from what I've read is simply to re-gear the car and leave the 3.6 alone.
I think in terms of tracking the car and therefore being able to stay in the powerband more easily you could well be right. Otherwise I think the SC is the bang for the buck as long as you don't mind forced induction.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by Caveman
Wow Christer!

That's some work. Dare one ask in roundabout terms what that little lot has cost (gulp!)?

Cheers,

David
You can ask....and I could maybe answer... I would say that all in all I must have something in the region of £20-25K in mods....when you take into consideration absolutely everything....next stop....weight loss - and I am not going very extreme but I am definitely getting rid of the seats front and rear. I think my car weighed around 1315kgs with 2/3 tank of gas last time it was weighed whilst corner balancing...I have no aircon fitted which does save around 25+kgs I would imagine.

Quick Reply: 993 3.8 engine