Under seat replacement AMP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Under seat replacement AMP

Those of you that have repaced the Nokia AMP under the passengers seat, can I ask how you wired it.
How many of you used the existing wiring or did you run new lines from the head unit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Dave,

In my first car I reused the existng speaker wiring. Just picked off the wires off that bundle that comes to the amp. In my latest install this past weekend, I routed new wires to the front speakers and it wasn't that bad. The toughest part is 'feeding' the wires through the rubber grommet/bellows thing on the door. By compressing and shortening it and rolling the tight end of it back it made the traverse of a wire taped to a flatblade screwdriver (lubed a bit) relatively easy. You know to remove the plate the control boxes sit on under the seat, correct? This will give you quite a bit more depth for the amp.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Luis. No, I did not know to remove that plate. Did you solder RCA connectors to the line level inputs for connections to your amp?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:04 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob at CarAudioInnovations has a few good recommendations for amps that will fit under the passenger seat. I believe he also sells a wiring harness kit to make installation easier.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:56 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Dudley,
Rob at CarAudioInnovations is the bomb! I had them set me up with speakers, sub's, amp, and wire kit. I bought my own Alpine /XM radio head and did the install. Used the stock speaker wires, hid front cross overs in door storage. Ran shielded wires from head to amp. Took some effort to do, but the sound is very nice!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, Looks like a call to Rod is in order.

A little OT but we had visitors this morning. A good omen, spring is almost here.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave,

I ran low level outputs via RCA patch cord from the head unit to the amp. For the amp output, I sekected and cut the speaker wires and connected them to the amp. On my second (current car) install, since it doesn't have the Hi-Fi option, I had to run new speaker wires from the amp to the speakers on the doors. I'm driving the front speakers and subwoofer with a 4 channel amp and two of the outputs bridged to provide 150 W to the subwoofer and 75 W each to the front speakers. The rear speakers I'm driving with the head unit. I didn't cut or splice any existing wires such that the car can be returned to stock.

Hope that helps. I can post some pics when I get home tonight to show the amp layout again although I posted one not too long ago.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I did a similiar install with low level RCA to an amp under the pass. seat. I also patched into the existing speaker wire.

The amp is a very small and old soundstream. It has nearly the same footprint as the original nokia amp.

Sounds good to me, but I've still got some killer alternator whine to kill...arrrgh

Quick Reply: Under seat replacement AMP