Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Lid Cable Problem????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:25 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Kelly, Thanks a million for the photos!!! If you're ever in the Philly area, I'll take you out for a couple of beers. I wish I could say the next time I'm out in Kauai I'd do the same!!!

Ray, thanks for the fishing line sugestion. I'll certainly give a try.

I've been so busy the last couple of days I have not had a chance to look at it. I was thinking about using a large paper clip with some nifty bends. If it doesn't work, I'll break out the 10 lbs test monofiliment.

I should be able to look at it tonight.

Shawn
Old 04-12-2005, 09:18 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just took a foot long strip of duct tape & folded it over lengthwise (sticky side to sticky side) in thirds. I then slid the strip under the closed cap & pulled it past the plastic latch tab. I then added a bit of slack to push the strip down into the fender about a 1/2 inch & pulled it out which easily released the latch & opened the cap. Took all of 15 sec. Repeated it 3x straight to make sure I wasn't just lucky. Much easier to figure out now than when I'm out of gas.

(Disclaimer: Just came in from a misting rain - my daily driver is ... filthy).

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (03-27-2023)
Old 04-12-2005, 10:16 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan,

Dude, I owe you one big time!! I just logged in and saw your post about the duct tape suggestion. I ran upstairs ripped a piece off, folded it like you said and gave it a try. Bingo, worked first time.

Now I guess we have to add duct tape (also known as 200 mph tape, racers tape, Kentucky chrome, ect...) to the list along with the DME relay.

If you look at Kelly's last photo above you can see what happened. That little philips head set screw came loose and just let the cable slide out. It may also be that I just pulled a little too hard, but whatever. I just took the screw out and put some red locktite on it before putting things back together.

Thanks guys! This is what being a part of this board is all about. Little nuisance things like I just experienced or big problems like other have had, people around here help each other out which makes owning these cars a lot more enjoyable.

Cheers to you all!!

Shawn
Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Shawn
Glad it worked, but not surprised. You can fix almost anything w/duct tape. Don't believe me, click the link below

The Duct Tape Guys website
Old 04-13-2005, 04:46 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
I'll go along with Tom F. When my cable broke on my old '76 911 I opened the lid with a piece of thick fishing line about 12-18"' long. Grab each end firmly, then run the center down the back end of the lid. Then pull each end of the line directly forward (paralled to the front fender). The center of the line will pull back on the latch and open the lid.

I tend to doubt that the lid and cable design has changed from my '76.
Along this idea, I was thinking about grass trimmer line.
What might help too is a second person pressing gently down on the cover to remove pressure from the latch... may open easier.

Good luck
Old 04-13-2005, 04:49 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Posted my suggestion too early. The solution was already confirmed.

Note to self: read threads to the end before posting small "brainstorms"
Old 04-13-2005, 12:49 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Dan, great sugestion.

It is funny that you used duct tape. I spent all of yesterday installing new furnace ducting in my rental apt. After 100 feet of ducting, I went through nearly a whole roll of tape. I would have much rather been working on the 993! LOL

I have been meaning to add duct tape to my on-board tool kit....
Old 04-13-2005, 01:33 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomF
I have been meaning to add duct tape to my on-board tool kit....
Tom
Duct tape ("Duck" brand) is sold in handy flat pocket packs. I've got 1 in each of my cars & throw 1 in my bag when I travel. Very handy stuff for lots more than just use as tape.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an old post, but I have a related problem and wanted some advice before I attempt my fix.

My fuel door popped open Saturday on a hard turn and again today in normal driving. Once I got home I took a look and the latch that locks the fuel door barely engages. My thought is to see if the cable may have gotten hung up and tension is holding the latch semi open. I'm thinking maybe the cable has shortened (much like cab cables shorten with use) and I'm going to give it a little slack by loosening the adjustment screw. Another thought is to lubricate the cable.

Anyone else have this problem? And if so what was your fix.

Thanks in advance,

Marco

Quick Reply: Fuel Lid Cable Problem????