Sponsored by:

993 vs. WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:47 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, to be fair, the late model Imprezas (including WRX and STI) are incredibly safe. They rate highest in most crash standards and have a very rigid bodyshell, specifically the passenger compartment. There're some pictures floating around of a kid whose WRX was literally run over by a semi. He walked away.

The same can't be said for EVOs which rate quite poorly.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jon. I didn't know the facts. It was an older subaru late 80"S. hmm alright I really want a wrx too. only if I could have both 993 & wrx. but my gf will never forgive me.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My GF still hasn't forgiven me. I was/am a WRX fan and have been for several years. I gradually go seduced by a 993 and eventually got one. I love it to bits. Unfortunately I still love my STi (PPP, Prodrive springs, strut braces etc.) and despite promising to sell it its still in the garage as you can see. It has to go. I cant justify both...I drive the 993 more. Its a far more rewarding driving experience, however every now and again ... if you fancy some kick *** turbo fun...

Old 11-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

RallyJon,

Very cool and subtle sig. Is that a Celica rally car and is that yours?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:47 AM
brucechapman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
If you think I missed the intention of your post, I apologize. You certainly missed the intention of mine.
sorry, jon. my apology as well.

i saw a q about the brakes:
the sti comes stock with 4 piston brembos on 12.7" rotors in the front; 2 piston in the rear on 12.3" rotors. i upgraded to pagid blue street/race pads, cobb ss brake lines and motul 600 before i did any other mods. i'll be swapping brembo slotteds in the front as soon as the rotors are shot (theyre sitting in the shop).

an equal amount of thought was given to setting up the suspension (kw variant 3 coilovers) and bracing the subframe. we estimating about 420 whp with a road tune, 93 pump and 20 lbs of boost right now. in the spring we're switching to rc 1000cc injectors and adding an aquamist water/alcohol/nitro methane injection system. with up to 32 lbs of boost which should see close to 600 whp. we're expecting a 10.8 1/4 with a trap speed of about 135. it's really a road course car not a drag car.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:44 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Is that a Celica rally car and is that yours?
Was. My wife and I used to rally, but gave it up when we had a kid.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Gemba
Intermediate

[QUOTE=brucechapman]sorry, jon. my apology as well.

we estimating about 420 whp with a road tune, 93 pump and 20 lbs of boost right now. in the spring we're switching to rc 1000cc injectors and adding an aquamist water/alcohol/nitro methane injection system. with up to 32 lbs of boost which should see close to 600 whp. we're expecting a 10.8 1/4 with a trap speed of about 135. it's really a road course car not a drag car.

..so now you have my interest..in one post you claim 600 HP and Z06 eating capability..and now you admit to a guess of 420...This is why I see so few really fast tuner cars actually out in the twisties...many are looking for the next junker motor to swap in after the 20+ boost and happy NoS thumbs kill them chasing simple mustangs in __________ lines...

Maybe you are different...but trap speed? ? For me that's what I do with my superposed. Any kid w a 440 Wedge and a bit o gas will eat your pink

WRX has my admiration, I have spent time mixing it up with them in the woods of MO vs. Boxster S..under 80 and off boost they are toast....well driven they are formidible adversary - worth messing with.

Sounds like you have a great car optimized for your driveway
Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
brucechapman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Gemba
Originally Posted by brucechapman
sorry, jon. my apology as well.

we estimating about 420 whp with a road tune, 93 pump and 20 lbs of boost right now. in the spring we're switching to rc 1000cc injectors and adding an aquamist water/alcohol/nitro methane injection system. with up to 32 lbs of boost which should see close to 600 whp. we're expecting a 10.8 1/4 with a trap speed of about 135. it's really a road course car not a drag car..
..so now you have my interest..in one post you claim 600 HP and Z06 eating capability..and now you admit to a guess of 420...This is why I see so few really fast tuner cars actually out in the twisties...many are looking for the next junker motor to swap in after the 20+ boost and happy NoS thumbs kill them chasing simple mustangs in __________ lines...
that's why i started with a built stroker shortblock by an engine builder with a proven record. when i made the 600 whp reference in my first post, i probably should have mentioned it is still a work in progress. that notwithstanding, the outcome isn't really in much doubt. if it ultimately falls short, i'd let you know but i'm not sure anyone would give a rat's *** by then. (i'm not sure they do now).

Maybe you are different...but trap speed? ? For me that's what I do with my superposed. Any kid w a 440 Wedge and a bit o gas will eat your pink
sorry, man but youre going to have to translate that one. theyre more likely to eat my brown.

WRX has my admiration, I have spent time mixing it up with them in the woods of MO vs. Boxster S..under 80 and off boost they are toast....well driven they are formidible adversary - worth messing with.

Sounds like you have a great car optimized for your driveway
i have a great car optimized for nearly any road or track condition worth driving, on boost or off.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:37 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Bruce,

I'm only guessing, but "eat your pink", may mean get your pink slip if that's what the racing wager is for.

CP
Old 12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Gemba
Intermediate

trap is something they do in the Olympics. A decent superposed, properly aimed will eat your brown all right. Hard to outrun it, birds try.
You do have a nice car, kinda a modern Iacoccaian GLH..fast and forgotten I can also claim 600 HP via any number of catalogs.
The pink ref was as guessed, for trap speed, nothing beats cubes. NoS and all the other toys in a tiny motor just delay the obvious. The Hemi can eat gas also.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:55 AM
f_scaife
Instructor

Lay off the pills.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

trap is something they do in the Olympics. A decent superposed, properly aimed will eat your brown all right. Hard to outrun it, birds try.
You do have a nice car, kinda a modern Iacoccaian GLH..fast and forgotten I can also claim 600 HP via any number of catalogs.
The pink ref was as guessed, for trap speed, nothing beats cubes. NoS and all the other toys in a tiny motor just delay the obvious. The Hemi can eat gas also.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

A decent superposed, properly aimed
Is a "superposed" a car?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Is a "superposed" a car?
Must be a shotgun. Multiple metaphors, mangled. Maybe.

Still likin' my WRX. Still likin' my Porker. Both good. Different. Good. Relax.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Gemba
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DarrylH
Must be a shotgun. Multiple metaphors, mangled. Maybe.

Still likin' my WRX. Still likin' my Porker. Both good. Different. Good. Relax.
multiple metaphors yes. Sorry to get off topic. As I said before they are nice cars.

JD

Quick Reply: 993 vs. WRX