993 vs. WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brucechapman
... for 32k i got a 4 door with as sophisticated an awd system of any production car on the planet, which is really useful for my 1,100 ft uphill winding dirt and gravel off-road course of a driveway. with the other 30+k i've spent on it (w/another 10k or so to go), with almost 600 whp i can spank a z06 (or any other production car, no matter how much you spent for it) and then pull him out of a snowbank.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23326
So you have spent $62K and are planning another $10K for a total of $72K, .

Wow, that is completely and totally insane. I was under the mistaken impression that the cheap price and big performance were the attraction to the WRX STi in the first place. What could possibly compel somebody to add $40K in mods to a $30K street car???

I bought my 993 last year for $1K more than an STi. It has OK performance, I like it, and it has depreciated ZERO dollars. Sounds to me like the frugal performance car guy is the Porsche owner in this case.

I wanted to buy an STi last winter for my daily driver, but the Subaru dealer was a total idiot when it came to leasing.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:23 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Daniel makes a good point, since there are very, very few mods that return any value upon resale. A $72k WRX would be an ***-kicker and a fun car to drive, but its going to take an enormous resale hit. Of course that's true of most of our after-market mods to our own beloved Porsches as well (I hope that the Ruf Turbo R conversion proves to be an exception).
Old 11-28-2005, 05:45 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two things that will help you with Rufus. You didn't do the Ruf conversion on your dime, and you are NEVER going to sell it.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 350 Posts
Talking Cheap fix.................

M030 RoW front sways at 22mm, 993TT rear Turbo sways at 21mm with Mo30 RoW springs...and M030 RoW struts and shocks is a sweet set up. I ran this on my car for about 2 years.

I then upgraded to PSS9s and ERP Monoballs. I needed some sways, fast...the only sways I could readily get my hands on were The Racers Group bars..I believe to be 25mm front and 22mm rear...that's close. They are cheap at $600 a set, but not as cheap as the 22mm and 21mm set up above at less than $400 a set.

With ther TRG sway bars, I used stock front drop links and TRG rear links....however I never could get the TRG rear drop links to adjust out to full stiff (eliminate understeer). I got a set of 993RS rear drop links from Viper Bob for about $150 a set, and voila, full adjustment.

If you have the budget, and you are a factory parts only geek, the only foolproof alternative is the 993RS bars (23mm 5 way adjustable front, 20mm 3 way adjustable rear) and RS drop links...look at about $1,200 for this set up including drop links. If it is good enough for a 3.8 liter 993RS..it will work on your 993.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:44 PM
brucechapman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
So, Bruce, you're here because you secretly covet a 993 despite the fact that an STI walks all over it in so many ways?
i have a feeling you missed the spirit of my post, jon. that's too bad because i'm sure youre much smarter than that.

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Here's a tip: when you stop using the word "spank" in posts about your car, you're making progress.
now i'm sure you missed the spirit of my post. oh well.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:52 PM
brucechapman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
So you have spent $62K and are planning another $10K for a total of $72K, .

Wow, that is completely and totally insane. I was under the mistaken impression that the cheap price and big performance were the attraction to the WRX STi in the first place. What could possibly compel somebody to add $40K in mods to a $30K street car???
...he wants an (almost) street legal all terrain race car as an every day driver and doesn't care about resale value or recouping dollars spent? i'm betting that if you love porsche's, if you drove my project car you would understand.

I bought my 993 last year for $1K more than an STi. It has OK performance, I like it, and it has depreciated ZERO dollars. Sounds to me like the frugal performance car guy is the Porsche owner in this case.
youre right, frugal had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I wanted to buy an STi last winter for my daily driver, but the Subaru dealer was a total idiot when it came to leasing.
we have guys over here who actually store their sti for the winter like it's a museum piece.

i really do love porsches, btw. peace.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's pretty cool that you can mod your STi to create the ultimate street/rally machine ! I hate the idea that one should consider resale value when pursuing this hobby. If the money you spent results in the car of your dreams, then you win!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:10 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter what you do or spend on it, it's still just a Subaru...........
Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 PM
brucechapman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
No matter what you do or spend on it, it's still just a Subaru...........
i'm ok with that (insert smiley face here)
Old 11-29-2005, 12:36 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you think I missed the intention of your post, I apologize. You certainly missed the intention of mine.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 32k i got a 4 door with as sophisticated an awd system of any production car on the planet, which is really useful for my 1,100 ft uphill winding dirt and gravel off-road course of a driveway. with the other 30+k i've spent on it (w/another 10k or so to go), with almost 600 whp i can spank a z06 (or any other production car, no matter how much you spent for it) and then pull him out of a snowbank.
Wow...for me, the only possible way to spend $72k on a Subaru would be to restore the one from "The Cannonball Run"!!!

PS. Save some $$$ and hire Burt Reynolds to drive it!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

....1,100 ft uphill winding dirt and gravel off-road course of a driveway. with the other 30+k i've spent on it (w/another 10k or so to go), with almost 600 whp i can spank a z06 (or any other production car, no matter how much you spent for it) and then pull him out of a snowbank.
Hummm... with the kind of shekels you describe, you could have a very nice 993 TT or 996TT.

Without offense to the esthetics or the Scuby... both are far more beautiful... the 993 being the best of course.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless I came into a very large chunk of money I probably would never spend $70K in a WRX. That said I really like the model and appreciate the enthusiasm! It would be a very boring world if everyone had identical tastes in cars.

Scott
Old 11-29-2005, 11:51 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

Jean-Pierre has it right. For that kind of money, you could get a TT and begin mods to it. If you want a hillclimb car, one has to look no further than the cars that Jeff Zwart drove to victory over the Subarus for years- a Porsche TT.

On the other hand, I am not one to judge another's car decision based on my own preferences. If a guy wants to spend his hard-earned cash on his car, no matter what it is, that is his choice.

For the record, having driven a WRX, I can say that it scared the &^% out of me- great handling, but not anything in the way of safety and very little metal between the driver and the rest of the world. There are very few cars that I feel safe in, save a 911.

Bruce, I hope that you are investing in a HUGE set of brakes...maybe I missed that post.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:12 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate Subaru's. My girlfriend almost died in one and it was at a slow speed. I think 35 or 40 mph. If I was 16 and wanted to look cool I'd drive it if it was given to me. But I'd get a mitsu evo VII before that pos. Yes the Subaru's can hadle and are great race/rally cars but I get way more respect in my 993. JMHO

Quick Reply: 993 vs. WRX