Sponsored by:

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Question

I did an archive search and didn't run across an answer to this.

My '95 Carrera has 60K mi. and the clutch seems to be much more difficult to modulate -- it appears to engage fine, all gears shift ok, but it's almost "on/off" when releasing -- with a much shorter (unless i'm imagining things) window to modulate.

I did have the occasional hanging clutch pedal issue a few months ago, but that's appeared to have been fixed during my last service when I had it bled.

Any thoughts on this? a sign that a replacement is near?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:59 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know that when my clutch was going it was a serious leg workout to get it depressed. i am not sure if it was always like that, but i am told, by others, that the oem clutch when it is new and in good shape is very easy to depress. again, i cannot speak to this myself as i got the car and had to replace the cltuch the right away.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Tone
Racer

It's not that it's any harder to push but more that the amount of travel during the "gear engagement part" feels less than 1/2 of what it was.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:40 PM
mborkow
Drifting

understood. i was just trying to convey what my clutch felt like right before it was about to fail. i am not sure about your symptoms and i don't have a stock clutch now to compare it with (i went the rs/lwf set up). sorry i can't be of more help...
Old 04-08-2005, 03:00 PM
rkass
Racer

Tone, when my clutch went I did not experience decreased pedal movement to engage the clutch (ie my pedal still felt like it always did) but that as clutch wore out it engaged/disengaged further and further down when pressing on the pedal. New clutch would engage/disengage in top third of clutch pedal travel. Are you losing pedal pressure vs what you felt prior to this? I installed a dual force street/race clutch in previous car and that really engaged/disengaged instantly versus stock clutch - almost too quickly for street driving although you get used to it. I find it hard to believe old stock clutch would mimic this behaviour, when I was losing clutch first thing to go was being able to accelerate quickly from a stop (car just revved and had to slowly accelerate to get going). I replaced at this point but would imagine it just gets worse. Unfortunately I don't have expertise to guide you further other than my observations, but there are a lot of people on this board who could nail it for you.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:48 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tone
Any thoughts on this? a sign that a replacement is near?
One primary job of the clutch is to transmit power from engine to wheels without slippage. Do you have a slipping problem of any sort? That needs to be determined before concluding you need a new clutch.

If not, then it's a pedal/engagement problem, somewhere between the clutch foot pedal and the fork in the clutch housing.

Have you tried the DIY on Pcar for the various clutch pedal fixes yet? http://p-car.com/diy/pedal/
Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Tone, hi all,

take care with the clutch slippage! Before changing for the LWF I discussed a lot with the official Porsche dealer from my area. He told me that the clutch was becoming harder and harder when getting old. Slippage is dangerous and to be avoided. One of its customer was almost on fire when he tried to reach the dealer with a slipping clutch!
My 2 cents!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Tone
Racer

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll check for slippage per mehodes shared on this forum....Now that I think if it, on the rare occasion I tried a launch start I don't think I had good engagement. I'll experiment some more.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:59 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tone,

You could try this method I pointed out to Kdurg...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=clutch

good luck

Quick Reply: Clutch Question