Sponsored by:

how hard is hard..

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I use my car around town a lot...how to you guys manage to redline these cars on city streets without endangering everybody? We have had a real spat of bad traffic accidents here in Vancouver due to idiots road-racing on public streets and, driving a Porsche, stand a real chance of losing my licence if I get caught at any significant speed. The public is really peeved up here and a p-car stands out like a sore thumb....

I can see some spirited driving on highways or country roads but how about city streets? If I go anywhere near redline even in 2nd its way over the city speed limit......

Yes the car gets tracked but not that often. I can't afford to have this car in the garage only for track work...I need to use it daily.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 01:07 AM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could we export some drivers to some countries in the far East??? or at least make sure they pass the German driving test??
Old 04-08-2005, 01:11 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I remember reading in the manual for my '88 930, something like:

"Once a day, with the engine at operating temperature, please accelerate at full throttle to redline in first gear. This helps to clear any moisture from the wastegate."

Now that's a great owner instruction. The only problem (as Mike J notes above) is that in the four-speed 930s of that vintage, redline in first gear was 58mph. I was able to find places to obey the manual :-) but it is not always easy ... life is tough eh (as we say in Canada).

Regards,
Old 04-08-2005, 01:13 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Freeway on-ramps! I can rationalize that you should enter the freeway at somewhat faster speeds than the traffic flow... so you can ease on the brakes if you need to for a nice safe merge. 120 mph seems like about the correct velocity. The really juicy on-ramps are 270 degree jobbers, some with decreasing radius. Its just the safe and prudent way to merge.

I try and take my car to full throttle redline at least once after its fully warmed up. Usually in 3rd gear. Too bad it happens so fast!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:33 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

The RUF rarely sees redline except in first and second gears. As someone said before, redline in 3rd is above 100 MPH.

With Bay Area traffic, it's virtually impossible to drive the RUF hard. Just way too many cars on the road. I'd go very early (6ish) into the mountains and drive for about 40-60 miles, mostly second gears. That's when I had fun in my car. Unfortunaltely, we had about 3-4 non-rainly weekends since November 2004, so this had been a terrible year for fun drives. With the car in VB's place and all, I only put on 1,500 miles since September 2004, and that included a 400 miles foray last week into N. Cal.

CP
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Now that's what I'm talkin' about

Now we got some real drivers talkin here.

Some of these posts seem like I'm on some geriatric forum. Good god, what do you mean you can't get to redline in two gears on city streets?????????????
Are you kidding? What... you guys only drive at rush hour? Get a Navigator and sell that car to someone that can drive it.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:32 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The really juicy on-ramps are 270 degree jobbers
Not an onramp, but fun every night:
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 AM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who believes in proper acceleration on on ramps to facilitate proper merging. To the extent that you can hit the high revs in 3rd its always good to see if you can do the broad sweep directly into the high speed lane directly from the on ramp. Of course such practices are only warranted when executed safely.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Once warm, I will get my car at or near redline every time I stretch her legs. The worst thing we can do to these fine machines is lug them. Imagine locking a Chetah in a cage. My mechanic thinks it is important that the cars are thoroughly exercised. Music to my ears.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:11 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

I try and take my car to full throttle redline at least once after its fully warmed up. Usually in 3rd gear. Too bad it happens so fast!
Just curious....what speed does a TT hit at 3rd gear redline? How about a NA? My NA gets delivered next week and I'm having problems sleeping at night in anticipation.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

I am just really really thankful that I have a rev limiter. It sounds SOOO good up there that I sometimes get distracted...
Old 04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
driving hard isn't all about straight line acceleration
Exactly!

When you start smelling hot brake dust and after you've stopped, when your tires are little hot to touch, you know you're driving hard.

When I'm at track I don't usually go up to rev limiter, if particular corner or other situation requires (i.e. when really going "at it" with someone else who is as fast or faster than me), I go higher but usually I change at about 6000-6500.

This is only DEs but if it was a race, then I'd pretty much always go up to redline.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

There is a reason why the line is RED. As Paris would say, "Because it's HOT." Mas caliente musica.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i have bounced off the limiter several times. based on everything i read and hear, this is ok for these cars because factory specs and parameters are pretty conservative.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:05 PM
garychios
Pro

Revving the motor out under load is good for the motor. If you always baby a motor, she is not use to being revved etc and eventually will fail at the seals, beairngs etc. I believe the "Italian tuneup" is the best to explain it. A driven car is better than a pampered one at times.

My car feels faster than when I first bought her because I actually bounce off the limiter sometimes when driving. Dones not mean I am messing the car up.

Goodluck!
-G

Quick Reply: how hard is hard..