Sponsored by:

tire installer chipped my turbo twist

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:27 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry tire installer chipped my turbo twist

I have been looking for a reputable installer for a couple of weeks. It came down to the dealer and an independent shop. I went with the independent on tire racks recomendations and after meeting with the owner. He stated that he only scratched one rim in 23 years and that was due to not enough cure time on a newly refinished wheel. Today I took my unblemished hollow spokes off my unblemished c2s and I became the 2nd person in 23 years to have my rear rim chipped in three spots. Hardly noticible but their are no marks on this 18000 mile car. Dealer says to refinish 125 to 150. The owner who chipped the tire says he will have the body shop next door due it for free and paint and repair the outside edge. Any suggestions ? Paul
Old 04-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a tire dealer scratch my 17" rim and he had a guy come in and re-paint it and I can't tell the difference. They snaded scratch, powder coated it and then clear coated the repair. All done with an air brush and it looks great! I also had COSTCO chip three of four rims on my BOxster and I took it to a speciality POrsche repair shop in San Diego - COSTCO paid nearly $600 to have the rims repiard. Let the guy repair it but ONLY if the job is done to your satisfaction - otherwise, off to the refininsh process at the dealer (who I am sure is sending it ot to someone like the guy my tire shop used).
Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 PM
bv shady
Racer

Is powder coating the only way? The tire installer asked the body shop guy if he could match the paint . sounded like he was going to paint it then clear coat.TIA
Old 04-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a similar experience with a tire place in Torrance. They fixed it the same way Peter's guys did. However, that's when I decided that I'll go with Wheel Enhancement because they do a proper job everytime I've used them (they have a proper machine to handle the bigger rims, and it's the same guy installing it, as well).
Old 04-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Rich also referred me to Wheel Enhancement and they did a great jog installing a set of 996TT-S wheels on my car. The installer was very careful and they have proper equipments for these big wheels. Eventhough they only have one bay, the job was done quickly and properly. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Shady,

Require that the installer send your damaged 18" TT to Wheel Collision in Bath PA. Or, better yet, send the wheel yourself. They have a website. They refinished all four of my 18" TT wheels last year and did a superb job. They are pros and a pleasure to deal with. They are used by many of the 'high end' car dealers in the NE and your damaged wheel will look as new when they are done.

Do not let the installer send the wheel to his brother-in-laws body shop and certainly do not allow ANYONE to do a touchup. It will not match.

BTW, our wheels are painted from the factory, not powder coated. Good luck with this and PM me if you have any questions.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Peter,
Was it Bud's that dinged your wheel?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 147 Posts

You often get what you pay for. The Potrsche dealers have a $10,000 machine for touchless tire mounting of 20" rims for the Cayenne. This cannot damage the rim. Ive made the same mistake before, cost me $90 to have the rim repaired/repainted. Never again! Pay the highway robbery price but know the wheel will be undamaged. You can negotiate a lower price if you unmount your wheels and deliver them with your new rubber to the dealer yourself, then pick them up on your way home with the new tread.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

That is a bummer Paul. I know how it is as this has happened to me numerous times. This is why I bought this machine for my shop. It costs about $14K, but it is the best unit I have ever seen. It is totally touchless to the wheels. You might try and see if anyone in your area has one of these Corghi Artiglio Masters. Good luck.

Last edited by viperbob; 05-21-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
bv shady
Racer

It was a company called Cse has a Hunter 3500 machine/road force balancing/ same as the dealer. I thought about going to the dealer they were about 50 dollars higher and said they would try their best not to scratch the wheels but it takes 2 people 2 hours . just didnt sound confident. so i went with the independent

Quick Reply: tire installer chipped my turbo twist