Sponsored by:

Help Diagnose Sunroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help Diagnose Sunroof Problem

I'm having some sunroof problems and need your help...Did a search and could not find anything similar to my problem....Here's the problem(s):

1) With roof in closed position, roof will not open but can hear the motor running

2) With roof in Open position, roof would not close and cannot hear the motor running

3) Can Manually open and close roof

Any ideas would be appreciated....
Old 04-03-2005, 04:51 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad switch?

I'd start by removing the sunroof and doing a little investigation. See if everything looks to be in order.

Keep us posted.

Andy
Old 04-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like either both your cables are broken or the gearbox is stripped. Does the motor ever stop? If it does, then the cables may still be operating and the gearbox is fine. The mechanism hasn't changed in years, it was the same on the earlier cars. Look on the Pelican Parts technical articles and you'll find steps to take it all apart then you can see what's broken. Andy's on the right track.

Chris.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:39 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

You should be able to find threads on this topic in the archives. I have written detailed instructions on how to unzip the roof lining, remove a few pieces then inspect the motor, gearbox and cables which will make diagnosis a lot easier.

Let me know if you can't find the archives.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

I am able to open and close the roof manually so that's telling me the cables are fine or is that not a safe assumption

Never thought about the gearbox....

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll have to take it apart when I can find some time...

Graham, i did read your post and will use as a reference since this DIY stuff is new to me....
Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Default Problem Solved !!

Just an update: The problem was 2 part:

Since I was able to open and close the roof manually, that told me the cables were fine....Pulled the drive gear and cleaned out all the gupe in between the teeth and reinstalled...

Next I Pulled the switch and the connection was loose at the back. Fixed that and voila, the roof is back in operation...

Quick Reply: Help Diagnose Sunroof Problem