Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating Wheels vs Painting.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Powder Coating Wheels vs Painting.....

I spoke with a powder coater last week regarding doing satin black inner portion of my Turbo Twists and a polished lip... then cleared. You'd think I asked for a kidney.

I got the head scratching, chin rubbing, head cocking... yada, yada. Then he says, "This will be pretty 'spensive, bro". I asked why and he started with the taping, the polishing and such. Didn't sound like repairing the Mona Lisa to me. But, BTAIM, I left with his card and a bit dismayed.

I know we've spoken about powder coating on this MB before, but.... I was wondering what the difference between painting the inner area and polishing the lip, then clearing thewholeshebang is vs powder coating and such?

As I understand it (and I'm no expert for sure), powder coating is just "dry painting" and then baking the bits. I understand "painting". I guess some will say that PC is more durable than painting, but the stocker wheels are painted. Correct? If so, that's durable enuf for me.

I believe that painting has more colors and more 'textures' than PC, but I could be incorrect.

Anyone wanna give me an opinion here? Thanx in advance.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think powdercoaters typically just do the whole thing, not used to taping and such. Also, I sure wouldn't let a powdercoater polish my wheels - I doubt he knows anything about that. I painted the centers of my cup wheels and polished the lips, it took 30-45 mins per just to get the factory paint off so I could start polishing. I probably spent another 30-45 minutes polishing, and never got anywhere near the look of my Fikse wheels (but these are for the track, so it's good enough). I was told by someone at Wheel Enhancment, that the cast wheels will not polish as weel as the forged wheels due to the metal itself (tiny holes or something like that). Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could have the wheels painted silver on the lips instead of polishing the bare metal. Then have the two-tone painted wheels clear coated.

I had my wheels painted black and clear coated, but I think I would like them better if the lips were painted silver.

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Wheels vs Painting.....