993 Forum 1995-1998

SuperCup's or MaxFlo's...??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default SuperCup's or MaxFlo's...??

I just ordered Gert's Euro M030's with the "extra threaded" HDs... can't wait to hook those dudes up! I guess the snow has left the building for the rest of the year.... hopefully.

Now, I'm interested in more rear end sound from the 993. I have the factory "motor sound" in the C4S... and that's kewl when I open it up. But, still... there's something lacking.

I remember when I got my Tubi Exhausts for the M-5 that folks went round and round regarding "resonance". Yes... there is resonance at low rpms with the Tubi, but this has become lower, more throaty and more raspy in a Harley Davidson sorta way. I always enjoy driving the M-car at full tilt... and I can drive it when the SO is on board without screaming during conversation.

This is important. We spend lots of time in the cars "talking".... if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I don't want to have to holler when speaking with my SO when we drive to the CT coast for lunch on Sontag while we discuss various things. Resonance in my Vette with the BB's was intolerable and led to it's sale. I don't want that in the 993.

I have listened to the "sound bites" from FabSpeed... and care for the sound of the Supercups a great deal. But, IF there is resonance at normal highway speeds that will make us "holler", I'm not interested. I drive in a "spirited way", but less so with the SO.

But, if the MaxFlo's are "too tame"...... well, I don't wanna spend the bucks to have just a 'so-so' sound. And, IF they drone, well... that's not kewl either.

I know this has be bounced 'round a bit before.... but, what are your opinions? I wanna know. Anyone in CT-land with some I can hear? That'd be nice, too.

Thanx..................
Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have maxflos and they are just right to me. Pretty loud at 4-6800 rpm but not overpowering inside car at any other engine speed. My SO tells me she can hear me two blocks away, but she is kinda sensitive. The other thing to keep in mind is that the C4s tips look better than fabspeed tips, and it is possible to keep stock tips with this exhaust, just have to do a little welding. Get the looks of stock but the sound of fabspeed. If you want to hear it, we are pretty close to one another.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:51 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
...Anyway, I don't want to have to holler when speaking with my SO when we drive to the CT coast for lunch on Sontag while we discuss various things. Resonance in my Vette with the BB's was intolerable and led to it's sale. I don't want that in the 993....
Then you should pass on Supercups and go with MaxFlows or RSRs

Edit: I just got a set of RSRs to swap on from time to time...primarily because the Supercups on a cab can be fatigueing after a while (must be getting old...).

Last edited by David in LA; 03-29-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:54 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 487 Posts

David is spot on. Supercups will be much too loud. I have RSR's I love them and get lots of compliments, one just last Sat. from someone with Supercups.

Jamie
Old 03-29-2005, 12:55 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Resonance ranking (1=most)

1) Supercups
2) Maxflows
3) RSRs

That said, I have RSRs and probably would still like more sound.....
Old 03-29-2005, 10:14 AM
JD83
Intermediate

Default You can hear my SuperCups Baggerdude

I'm close to Providence, RI
Put them on Saturday while the twins were napping (good thing I didnt fire it up while they were asleep). When I first started it up I was in shock....as folks have said it is race car loud. After my first 15 min spin I was ready to bolt the RSR's back on. Went out for another longer drive Sunday morning and the shock value was less, and I wasnt grabbing at my tools to unbolt them.
I want to hear them outside the car as well with someone else driving by. I'm still in the evaluation stage with them trying to determine if they are a performance or ratty loud. Dont get me wrong...enjoy an aggressive exhaust note...evey bike I have had I switched the pipes...and raced a Ducati with barely a muffler on it for many years.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

JD83/Joe and rkass....

I'm just about 50 miles from Providence and would love to hear the comparison between the 'cups and the 'flows. Perhaps we can hook up some weekend when the weather is not bad.

What'daya think?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I love my Supercups, but it sounds like they'll be too loud for you.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 PM
JD83
Intermediate

I'm in!
Also know of some secret locations just over the border in
RI where we can play with little interference from
the law....not that I would ever do anything illegal
Old 03-29-2005, 04:19 PM
rkass
Racer

OK by me. Need to wait till after the 15th.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:36 PM
JD83
Intermediate

Randy -
I set it up today with the local law enforcement for the April 14th!
See below

Only kidding...we'll wait unitil after the 15th
Old 03-29-2005, 05:27 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

would be very cool to hear sound clips for maxflo vs. RSR.... like an actual "sound off". I saw this done on another board once with different mufflers. Someone stood outside in an empty parking lot or something like that, while cars sequentially drove away from the spot... it was a very very cool way to make exhaust decisions based on comparison of the sounds, one after the other...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Default Let's go....!!

Randy and Joe....

This is very neat. I'm looking forward to this meeting. Should be an interesting deal..... Super Cups, Max Flos and stockers all in the same arena. Excellent! Perhaps some others will show.... RSR's or whatevers?

I don't care when we do this 'meeting'.... after "Tax Time" is fine. I gotta golf date 'round the 20th thru the 25th of April, but..... hey, I'm pretty flexible schedule-wise before or after this date.

Perhaps I will have Gert's suspension hooked up by that time. We'll see.

I'm wondering where we should meet. As I say'd, I'm 'bout 50 miles from Providence, but would entertain being on the the WEST side of town... since I have always been 'lost' in Providence.

Anyone have a strip mall or eatery where we could meet? I'll do whatever, but think meeting on some sort of 'neutral ground' would be great for each of us. MA, CT, RI.... and points beyond, eh. But... as I say'd, I'm up for whatever.

Thanx, guys..... appreciate you help. Exhaust IS important, eh.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I heard some Supercups at a DE last weekend ... they are LOUD. I honestly can't imagine driving with those for non-track use.

I am on the waiting list for RSRs, they seem to be just right for me.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I just drove Joe's car last night with the Supercups (we've done a few wrench nights). WOW. The sound is pretty amazing. Much more than the Maxflo's I have. The sound signature is almost all exhaust vs the moderate exhaust and intake growl note from the 'Flos. I am not sure if they are for me "yet" but they might grow on me-if I get to take a few more loud pedal runs...Joe?...I'll buy gas....
As far as folks getting together-I'm up for it!! I live just north of Providence. The weather still sucks but maybe in a week or so...?? I would be open to even having folks come over-we could stand around in my barn, stare at cars and swill brew....

Quick Reply: SuperCup's or MaxFlo's...??