Sponsored by: DashLynx

993tt vs c4s

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:38 AM
ricky_nu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993tt vs c4s

Hi folks, is there somesort of preference for a turbo vs non-turbo 993? I know that the C4s is basically set up the same as the TT, without the blowers? Judging by the prices in the used market, it seems that the masses really like the C4s. Is this because the TT is a nightmare from a maintenance/service/insurance perspective? If not, what is the reason for the "S" cars being bid up so well?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:00 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have not been following the market for either car but the maintenance of the TT is not any greater than a NA car. I would think it is nearly identical until you get to the turbo's. If the turbo's need to be replaced then you are looking at more money but their reliability if properly cared for is excellent. The hard part for either of these cars is to find a good one that has been maintained well. They are getting up in age. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

of course there will be many different opinions on this ...here is mine:

no comparison between these two cars. the 993tt is a performance beast, while our normally aspirated 993s are only quick at best. dont get me wrong, the c4s is fun to drive, but it does not reach into supercar status the way the 993tt did for its time (and really still does today).

approx 400hp/400ft lbs torque.... those are still impressive numbers today, 8yrs later. have you driven one? drive both back to back and you will understand the difference.

pricewise, looking at comparable condition, history, mileage, etc? the 993tt seems to be at least $20k more on average...

there are a few on this board that prefer the naturally aspirated 993, but i venture to guess that the majority would take a 993tt of similar condition, mileage, color, etc. if the pricing wasnt an issue... (?)
Old 03-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts

From all of my time spent on these boards, I am not under the impression that the TT is that much more to maintain (than a NA 993. I'm sure if the turbo(s) fails, then that will be costly, but I don't hear of that too often.

When it comes to performance, however, there isn't any comparison. As Jonathan mentioned above, the TT is a beast!!! After I drove one my C4S felt like a turtle.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

having owned at 993tt and 993c2, i love the TT and they will bury me in it
But, if you go non-turbo, i really believe that c2 is the was to go. i felt my c2 was quick and far more tossable than the turbo. It felt very light upfront and was in some ways more fun for street driving b/c you can feel the car work. The TT is so fast, that you really need a track or a lot of room to feel it work.
Plus, porsche designed the NA car as a c2, not a c4s.
I really believe a c2 is blast to drive. But, there is no question a TT is in a another level for performance -- the question is whether we drive well enough to take advantage of it
Old 03-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

C4S less so, but C2S in particular has a somewhat cult like following. These cars in pristine condition, with low miles, go for a lot. It really comes down to individual preferance. Some don't like turbo lag, however minute. Some don't like the lines, especially the big turbo tail. Some don't like AWD. I think, however, you would find that many on this board would give their left nut to have a TT (unless you are lucky enough to have an RS, like Monique), higher maintenance costs or not, and many do step up over time. It really comes down to what you want, and how much you want to spend. As others have said, drive as many variants of the car as you can before you buy, figure out how much you want to spend, and decide for yourself.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Seljan
Pro

The only noticeable cost issue between my 993 cab and the 993 turbo is tires.The turbo eats rears about 2-1 over the cab.As far as scheduled maintenance there has been no significant difference in costs.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:36 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3
C4S less so, but C2S in particular has a somewhat cult like following. These cars in pristine condition, with low miles, go for a lot. It really comes down to individual preferance. Some don't like turbo lag, however minute. Some don't like the lines, especially the big turbo tail. Some don't like AWD. I think, however, you would find that many on this board would give their left nut to have a TT (unless you are lucky enough to have an RS, like Monique), higher maintenance costs or not, and many do step up over time. It really comes down to what you want, and how much you want to spend. As others have said, drive as many variants of the car as you can before you buy, figure out how much you want to spend, and decide for yourself.
couldnt agree more...wish list in order:

993 RS
993 TT
993 S
993 4S
Old 03-27-2005, 05:46 PM
lowblow
Racer

I agree with basically everything stated above, but I do love my C4S. I would absolutely take a turbo in 1 minute but as also stated above you had better bring it to the track or have alot of wide open space around you!

It is not possible, (IMHO, of course), to be unhappy with ANY 993.

mike
Old 03-28-2005, 10:17 AM
joolsbourne
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowblow
I agree with basically everything stated above, but I do love my C4S. I would absolutely take a turbo in 1 minute but as also stated above you had better bring it to the track or have alot of wide open space around you!

It is not possible, (IMHO, of course), to be unhappy with ANY 993.

mike
I'm with Mike. I love my C4S but would be in a tt if I could afford it. I'm very particular about the colour though and love Zenith blue. Anyone ever seen a Zenith blue tt?
If anyone has a picture of a Zenith blue tt please keep it to yourself. I can do without the mental torture of making a good business case for selling everything I/we own to buy one!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can afford a TT, do it! There's nothing like "boost" when a ricer on the freeway wants to play. One day, a TT for me.....
Old 03-28-2005, 01:26 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Then there is this animal called the RUF BTR-2, which is a 426 HP turbo AND 2-wheel drive. Barely 3,000#s. Best of all worlds if you asked me. But then I might be slightly biased.

CP
Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have a TT right now if they had made it in a Cabriolet. Now I'm just going for the supercharger.

Quick Reply: 993tt vs c4s