Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help!! Changing Spark Plugs... Dropped plug... How to Remove?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:57 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

Good advice on the spark plug socket. I wedged some small wooden dowels between the rubber insert and the socket wall so it would grab the plug better. I think I'll take mine back to Sears and ask for a new one as it's a Craftsman socket and has lost it's grip.

Just got done w/ the fuel filter and it was a lot easier than expected. No need to remove the airbox body as suggested in the DIY on Pcar. It's a tight fit getting in there, but very doable with the airbox body still in there. I did have a short 19mm wrench from an old dirt bike tool kit that helped and I used a proper set of flare wrenches on the fuel fittings. If you want some other tips, PM me and I'd be happy to share.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troy,

I learned a little trick for removing the distributor caps as the screws are usually stuck and the screwdriver strips out the top of the screw.

1. Tap on the screwdriver with a hammer (lighty) while turning in the direction to tighten the screws. This is so if the screw strips a little it is in the wrong direction. The hammer acts like an impact wrench to loosen the screws.

2. After you break the frozen screw loose in the tight direction, you can then unscrew it as normal.

If you try to break them loose in the direction you are going to remove them, the top of the screw gets stripped.

This is harder to describe than it is but it works. It beats having to drill the screw heads off. Ask me about that one!

Cheers
Old 03-27-2005, 11:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

During one of my spark plug nightmares I reverse wrapped some duct tape around a screwdriver and the loose plug stuck to it and I was able to pull it out.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:31 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bruce, great tip, and it makes perfect sense, thanks!

Quick Reply: Help!! Changing Spark Plugs... Dropped plug... How to Remove?