Sunroof creak (not rattle)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sunroof creak (not rattle)

I searched the archives but found only info on sunroof rattles. My sunroof creaks when closed. Generally I notice it when going over speedbumps, or pulling into or out of driveways - where the car would twist I guess.

Is this a common problem? Is there a simple fix, like stuffing some foam somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

About 110K miles ago, when mine was under warranty, the dealer spent untold hours figuring this out. Same as yours, only creaked when closed. Stuffed some extra foam back there somewhere, but could not tell you where. The creak went away till recently, so maybe the foam is degrading. Make sure the sound you are hearing is the SR, not the WS.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:18 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Terry - that's a lot of miles you've racked up! I'm sure it's the SR, I also have the windshield creak, though I solve it for months at a time w/ silicone spray.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:30 PM
cojackin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 95 993 and have the same problem it is very annoying sound please if anybody knows how to get rid of the creaks please enlighten us.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bumping this. Mine makes a few noises too. Used some felt sticky pads a few years ago - cant remember if it made much difference. Would love to know if someone has nailed this issue...

Merry Xmas
Old 12-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had front and rear WS creak and sunroof. The WS is sorted and the SR only does it now and then, it seems to be temperature related somehow.

I found that if I open it slightly and shut it again it goes away.

It is exactly as described, like having a styrene foam cooler on the back seat.

I'm keen to hear a fix too.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:49 PM
cojackin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:37 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long to get caught up on Rennlist...I've been in India, long story...

If it's what I think it is, then this is an easy fix, though it will take some time and elbow grease. I had the same problem at 65K miles (now at 87K) and disovered that this was the sunroof track rubbing against the frame. What happens is that the plastic screws that hold the sunroof track in place get old and loosen slightly -- thus allowing the sunroof track to move ever so slightly. It's more pronounced when the sunroof is closed because the track is the only thing supporting sunroof in it's placed (when it's open the roof is supported by a spacer on the top as well, which locks it into place.

To fix, you'll need to remove the sunroof (see a shop manual, I think you need to go back to '87 to get the segment about the sunroof) and the sunroof tracks. Place some craft foam that is sticky on one side and soft on the other under the tracks and get some new screws from your local Porcsche shop (they'll probably have to order them). The new screws will lock the track into place, and the foam will keep the rubbing from recurring when the wear out.

In reality, this can be done DIY, it easy, but it takes the better part of 5 hours to complete. And much longer if you've never removed the sunroof before. Search rennlist on my name and you can get the full DIY. I think I did it in 2001 or 2002.

cheers,

sean
Old 03-28-2005, 01:34 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ooh, this sounds like a good one, thanks Sean.

Quick Reply: Sunroof creak (not rattle)