993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Looking for Audi and VW Forums

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... you guys are spot on about the Audi forums! I thought some of our "discussions" got out of hand... There is a tremendous abount of crap (I don't know what else to call it) on both audiworld and on audizine!

The more I look, the more I think a TDI Golf or Jetta is the direction I should go... I like the idea of having decent torque and still getting great mileage. Thanks to all for the inputs!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Wow... you guys are spot on about the Audi forums! I thought some of our "discussions" got out of hand... There is a tremendous abount of crap (I don't know what else to call it) on both audiworld and on audizine!

The more I look, the more I think a TDI Golf or Jetta is the direction I should go... I like the idea of having decent torque and still getting great mileage. Thanks to all for the inputs!
Here is an option for you...I know this dealer (no affiliation) and he has great cars and great service (just bought a nice Benz from him in addition to multiple vehicles in the past). Worth a look...

These look like great drivers cars...I wouldn't mind checking it out myself and taking it for a spin!

http://www.huntingridgemotors.com/ca...id=833&subcat=
Old 03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes agreed, a 1.8T tuned with a Revo chip is ridiculously fun. The Golf however only gets good gas mileage if you TRY. It can get 28+ or so on the highway. IN the city ive seen as low as 20mpg in my 1.8T Golf. Then again, the car is soo damn fun, shifting for gas mileage is WAY too difficult. I open it up and enjoy myself. Oh well.

The 2.8 engine in the Audi cars feels AMAZING on the highway. Very smooth, with great pull.

What looks interesting, and i can't wait to drive is the new Jetta 5 cyclinder. Its basically half of the Gallardo engine, and downtuned a little. Supposed to have real potential...
Old 03-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest a VW Golf TDI.. they have come a long way in the last few years. Mine is the 130 HP version and with over 250 ft/lbs of torque, it goes like snot and I get 50 mpg at 80 mph cruise. With the price of oil now, it is a big factor.

Add the sport suspension and you'll be surprized at how nimble this thing is
Old 03-28-2005, 02:41 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Michael,

I recently went through the exact same exercise. I am in Chicago and I have an added weather issue. I have owned VWs before and love them as well as Audi's but being as how we are all car guys and girls you want something fun to drive not something that will bore you to tears. I solved my problem by purchasing a '90 535i for $6500. It is a perfect size sedan it has a wonderful straight six motor and if properly cared for they are bullet proof. Not good for gas mileage though. If I were in your shoes I would go Jetta or Golf TDI or if you want some fun with decent gas mileage find an older 325i or 318i. I love BMW and a believe that they are genuine car guy and girl cars. They are also very well built. Audi A4 are very nice but I have heard horror stories when they get up there in miles. Anyway my $.02. I do not how other Rennlisters feel but to me the second best thing to a Porsche is a BMW.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:59 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

How about an Audi S4? My g/f's stage 3 S4 has been a solid daily driver.

You could even buy hers. Over 450 hp (stage 3) and $28,500.

Are you looking for a new or used car?
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Flint
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. I just bought an '00 Jetta VR6 5-speed and its very capable for what it is (FWD sedan). I was very close to buying a 97 A8 quattro, but was scared off by tales of transmission problems for that year (not enough to notice the nearly identical buttons in the Jetta however). My only real problem is the FWD, as I find it less predictable, even in snow.

And I second (or third) that the VW/Audi boards have a higher proportion of kids who treat car ownership like a video game.

Quick Reply: OT: Looking for Audi and VW Forums