Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 02:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RS Motor Mount review (for KKIM)

Yesterday, I ran a PCA autox at California Speedway (in the parking lot). This event was run in conjuction with a local Vette club, Vettes'R'us.
This was my first opportunity to run my car with the recently installed RS motor mounts. I feel autocrossing is a good place for such comparison due to its agressive nature and required vehicle transient response, despite typical autocrossing's lack of gear changes.

Though the perceived change is minimal, I do feel the difference. When I would slide the car, (which was necessary for a few corners in order to best set car direction for the next gate) it felt more predictable. Hard to explain in words, but seemed much easier to control, even when I was 2 degrees of yaw away from a spin I guess the words 'predictable' and 'confident' best describe this change.

I dont think my original motormounts were shot, I do know the right-side was saggy and had puked some jelly..

For the street, the biggest difference I noticed was I can feel the engine vibrations more, especially my somewhat lumpy idle.
Some pics of her listing-over, just like a big 'ol boat...Gotta do some more suspension work. A RS rear roll bar is not enough to minimize her roll
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2005, 02:30 AM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I dont think my original motormounts were shot, I do know the right-side was saggy and had puked some jelly.."

If they are saggy, they are probably shot or close to it. If any jelly has puked out, they are definitely shot. You should feel the difference in this case...the motor won't feel like it is moving around in the car.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:50 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mahalo, Chris, for your thoughts. That pretty much sums up my feelings on the RS mounts. Great mod to get the car to feel more like a solid unit. My stock mounts weren't puked, but to me there was still a marked difference after the change.

Also, I don't remember if you have a RS SS lever in your car, but that combined with the RS mounts really help clean up the shifting feel in the 993.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Kelly, I didnt know you already installed RS mounts... I remember a few weeks ago you had asked me what I thought of them...Oh well.. If anything, a good excuse to post some pics
Old 03-28-2005, 03:27 AM
nman413
Drifting

Chris, where's the RS wing?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pics Chris.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:51 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

good pictures. Yeah, the mounts do make a difference.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Car looks nice. How was your time? What are you thinking about doing to fix the body roll?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Chris, next time I want to see pics of your car on that track......
Old 03-28-2005, 11:32 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Car looks nice. How was your time? What are you thinking about doing to fix the body roll?
Times were good! Surprisingly, was quickest in class for AM sessions (didnt stick around for PM sessions), until a hand-written correction showed-up on the results printout, then I was relegated to 2nd quick. However, I was second to my good friend and his stunning 930

The Vettes are REALLY quick at the autox. The quickest Vette guys were in the ~58 second ranges where I ran in the ~63 second range. But, I will say a lot of those vettes were trailered, and extensively modified. So I am not sure if I am comparing apples to oranges? I will say, I was really impressed with some of the quicker Vette guys and their driving. Very tidy, quiet and agressive where required!

If any of you read "Sports Car" magazine (SCCA publication), you'll notice for solo2 results, it appears that the Z06 owns this class..

Good fun, nonetheless!!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:34 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by icerbofh
Chris, where's the RS wing?
Its laying in the garage, awaiting paint Some day, some day...

BTW, I leave for Firebird Raceway tomorrow for four days of testing. Anyone in the area wish to have dinner and/or bench race?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:43 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

That's for the write-up Chris (and Kelly). This mod is on my to-do list. LWF,clutch, RS motor mounts and SS.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like Auto-xing is more wear and tear (more taxing on the tires and brakes) than a DE session. That's why I haven't done one yet. Is this the case?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:15 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Arwin:

Depends on how seriously you are taking it, of course, but autocrossing is generally much easier on the car than DE or track driving, with the sole exception I can think of being tires, where it can be hard on them (along with some of the suspension links). Of course, driving on the track isn't exactly easy on the tires or the suspension, so it is really more a case of them being in the same range of taxing on the car. As for the engine and the brakes, autocrossing is very easy on them compared to driving on the track. Autocrossing involves only short bursts of power and braking from only modest speeds, where driving on the track involves sustained full throttle, high load acceleration and heavy braking from high speeds, which is much harder on the engine and brakes.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdemas
Arwin:

Depends on how seriously you are taking it, of course, but autocrossing is generally much easier on the car than DE or track driving, with the sole exception I can think of being tires, where it can be hard on them (along with some of the suspension links). Of course, driving on the track isn't exactly easy on the tires or the suspension, so it is really more a case of them being in the same range of taxing on the car. As for the engine and the brakes, autocrossing is very easy on them compared to driving on the track. Autocrossing involves only short bursts of power and braking from only modest speeds, where driving on the track involves sustained full throttle, high load acceleration and heavy braking from high speeds, which is much harder on the engine and brakes.
Thanks for the insight Harry. I think I may take a stab at one...

Quick Reply: RS Motor Mount review (for KKIM)