I think I slipped a bit down the slope

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I think I slipped a bit down the slope

Uh-oh! Upon getting my car back from top end rebuild last Friday, with a snazzy new competition valve job to add some extra torque, I suddenly have found myself at the body shop to install a euro bumper while my car is in for a repaint, followed by RoW suspension install at the shop nextdoor! How did that happen? I didn't win the lottery ya know. How did my car do that to me?!?! And how can I spend so much yet feel soooo, sooo good about it?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:18 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goin down quick-took you long enough.

Sounds great!!!!!

Al
UT Ex
Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You are not slipping - it is a freefall!

How is that new engine?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:26 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on getting the car back after all this time. It's just getting the TLC it deserves w/ the engine work and upgrades. You'll love the car even more now... and isn't that what it's all about, anyway? Enjoy!!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long was your car in the shop for the top end work? Would love to hear your view on the "new engine" and how it feels.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, the engine is phenomenal. It smoothly pulls through the entire band. Wow! I'm ecstatic about it. I expected it to come out well, as I took it to the best shop in town. But honestly, I had no idea it would come out like a beast. Wow! And I could eat off the engine it's so clean! I'll post pics from home later, they are amazing!

I was waiting to do the top end before I did all this other work. I was in a long fight with the aftermarket warranty company to cover the valve guide replacement. Essentially I got a top end rebuild for half the price, as the warranty refused to pay for anything unrelated to guides. Fine, whatever. Anyhow, now I have the green light to go ahead with the rest that is on my list. Woohoo!!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:39 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

he he! Welcome to the slope
Old 03-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Uh-oh! Upon getting my car back from top end rebuild last Friday, with a snazzy new competition valve job to add some extra torque, I suddenly have found myself at the body shop to install a euro bumper while my car is in for a repaint, followed by RoW suspension install at the shop nextdoor! How did that happen? I didn't win the lottery ya know. How did my car do that to me?!?! And how can I spend so much yet feel soooo, sooo good about it?
What exaclty was part of the "competition valve job" Just a 3, 5, or 7 angle grind? Fully radiused? back cut? Was there any porting of the head? Just curious. I know their different cars, but I had a bunch of headwork done on my car, including fully radiused and back cut valves, porting, and milling for more compression. There are gains, but not as much as, say, a larger turbo (on the list)
Glad your happy with the car, thats what its all about.
~Eyal
Old 03-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Top end took 3 1/2 weeks. It would have taken a little less, but we did a bunch of other stuff too. I replaced:
valve guides with silicon bronze replacements
valve covers
ignition wires
distributor caps and rotors
timing chain guides and tensioners
All O2 sensors
All belts
Air, fuel, oil filters
Oil pressure sender
Temp sensor
Oil return tubes
Every seal or gasket we could get to.
I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but that's the major stuff

The SAI ports took a long time to clean. I have pics of those as well, will post later. Some were almost completely clogged. The oil pressure sender had sprung a leak, which sprayed oil all over the engine, so that clean-up took some effort as well.

But here is the cool thing - once it was all apart, we got to check the condition thoroughly. At 110,000 miles, all major engine components were fine: the pistons were fine, cylinders were fine, all valves were fine, springs and retainers were fine, clutch was fine. Considering my mileage, I was very impressed at the condition.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
What exaclty was part of the "competition valve job" Just a 3, 5, or 7 angle grind? Fully radiused? back cut? Was there any porting of the head? Just curious. I know their different cars, but I had a bunch of headwork done on my car, including fully radiused and back cut valves, porting, and milling for more compression. There are gains, but not as much as, say, a larger turbo (on the list)
Glad your happy with the car, thats what its all about.
~Eyal
Eyal, who did your head work? Did you consider Ollies in Santa Ana?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Well, i had it done by a 951 tuner, Guru racing. I'm not sure on which shop did it, but theres only a few shops that can do a fully radiused valve job. I can find out for you if its important. My head work is the one thing I don't know where its been done, otherwise everything on my car has my fingerprints, blood and sweat on it.
~Eyal
Old 03-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Uh...Eyal...uh, I can't really answer that. If I understand the process correctly, during the reconditioning of the valves, they were ground to a different angle that allowed for easier air flow at the low end. I'm sure that is much simpler than what they did, but I'm going to plead "girl" on that. We did no lower end work, nothing to the heads. I saw that slope approaching quickly and stopped short. When I get it back from the body shop I'm going to dyno it to see the effects.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, are you really just a guy in drag ???
Old 03-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Uh...Eyal...uh, I can't really answer that. If I understand the process correctly, during the reconditioning of the valves, they were ground to a different angle that allowed for easier air flow at the low end. I'm sure that is much simpler than what they did, but I'm going to plead "girl" on that. We did no lower end work, nothing to the heads. I saw that slope approaching quickly and stopped short. When I get it back from the body shop I'm going to dyno it to see the effects.
Thats fine. The slope is a lot worse when you know everything you do yeilds big numbers... Gotta love turbos! I think I'm going to take a break on power before i go big, and do suspension (I'm going to go too stiff for my own good!) . I'm really a suspension guy, can't wait to get a few hot laps in...
~Eyal
Old 03-25-2005, 06:08 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yo Adrienne(always wanted to say that)....

Did you see the video of the Yellow targa that crashed last weekend at Cal Speedway? It is a stunning looking, 21k mile car that has the Calif edition of your plates, though he blacked it out on the pics he posted. Look how good that front spoiler looks at a Targa. Just in case you missed it...

http://members.rennlist.com/kary993/crash993targa.mpg

Quick Reply: I think I slipped a bit down the slope