Sponsored by:

Spark Plug socket suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Spark Plug socket suggestions

I'm going to purchase a spark plug socket for DIY'ing spark plugs. Any advice on what would be best? Here are two that I thought would work well, just don't know which one (or something else) would work best. One has a single swivel the other has a double swivel. I'm thinking the length of the double would be best???? I just found another one......any advice would be helpful.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build your own; dig in the archives to see what I did.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:45 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Ray, did that and saw a 4" extension, some tape and a universal joint, is that all you used?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, it's a "jimmy-rig" setup, but it does work well. Just make sure the extension is secured to the ratched...ask me how I know
Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

I can imagine what a PIA the top right side will be, just trying to make things as easy as possible and get the "right" tools so I have them in the future. I'm sure I can figure this out on my own, but you guys are always so helpful....

Cooter, did you have a problem with the socket assembly coming off the ratchet?...or the socket?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

That swiveling socket looks really cool but you wll only use it once every 30,000 miles. Take Ray's suggestion, tape is cheap. One thing I would add, that will come in handy in other projects, is a stubby socket wrench.

Dave
Old 03-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Cooter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the whole taped up thing dropped off the ratchet...it was not pretty...In the end, it really was not that big of a deal to do. It just requires removing a lot of other things to finally get access to the plugs. I did mine at the same time as the 60k service (@ 50k) so I had already removed a bunch of stuff. Just take your time and go slow. Also, don't overtighten the plugs. Snapping one off or crossthreading is bad news. And you can judge for yourself about using antiseize on the threads. The workshop manual says not to but many here do - try a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of good info. Good luck !!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Ray, did that and saw a 4" extension, some tape and a universal joint, is that all you used?
You just see the pretty picture or you find the article? As I remember, I took one of those aftermarket "T"-handle spark plug sockets and cut the handle off. Then took a 3/8" drive 8mm (or so) Allen head socket and knocked the hex head out (Sears sockets that have the head held in with a little Allen screw are ideal). Then the end of the "T"-handle I ground down into a hex shape using a Dremel tool so it just fit the end of the Allen head socket. Then I epoxied it in place (if you have a welder, that might be better but am unsure about welding to chrome which many of these tools are coated in).

The total length of the completed tool was important; as I remember 7" was the key number (I'm at work and can't remember the details of a job done years ago). Too long and you can't fit it in the engine; too short and you'll never get it out of the head once the new spark plug is in place (esp. on the upper plug located at the right-forward cylinder (No. 4?)).

The tape was there to give a little firmness to the joint and stop the end from flopping around (making it a PITA to install in the engine).
--------------------------------------------------
Correction: measured it after I got home. Total length is 6 1/4".

Last edited by Ray Calvo; 03-22-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug socket suggestions