Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Evo Upright, Tie Rods and Goodyear F1 GS-D3 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does it mean by 'bump steer"?

I'm sorry for the stupid question... What does it mean by "bump steer"? and what does the Evo uprights do? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:09 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,
Ever feel your steering wheel move left or right without you turning it when you hit a bump? That is bump steer. Quite nerve wracking when you are taking a corner at high speed. this phenomenon is particularly noticeable when you lower the car. The Evo uprights change the geometry of your front suspension to mitigate that occurence. In conjunction with the RS tie rods (probably because of the more correct geometry), they also provide a significantly better steering response in all situations. Viperbob posted a picture in one of the threads showing the underside of a car with and without the Evo uprights.
Hope that helps. The experts can add much more detailed explanations, mine is purely anecdotal.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:24 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Thank you Alex for the explanation. Wow... I always wondered about that everytime I took a highspeed corner with some uneven surfaces - I thought something was wrong with my car. Yes, you're right - it is scary. Is this what I need to fix the problem? Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:11 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Here is a link to the post I made a few weeks back. It shows the difference with a somewhat lowered car with the angle of the toe arms. Essentially, you want the toe arms to be parallel with the groudg to minimize the bump steer. We are lucky to have such great factory parts available to help us with these issues.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=bump+steer
Old 03-23-2005, 12:30 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jkuniverse
Thank you Alex for the explanation. Wow... I always wondered about that everytime I took a highspeed corner with some uneven surfaces - I thought something was wrong with my car. Yes, you're right - it is scary. Is this what I need to fix the problem? Thanks again.
Yup! Gert, VB or one of other Rennlist sponsers can set you up. I would check to see if your ABS sensors will come out though. Mine wouldn't without breaking so I needed new ones ($380!!) for the new uprights. Most should though.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jason,
What shocks do you have? If you are running the stock suspension at stock height then you might want to address that first.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Greg, you're right. I'm still running the stock suspension at the SUV height. That will be my next mod as soon as I can come up with a good story to convince my wife for a couple of grand??
Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jason,
Deal with that first, if you don't go as low as Alex did then you should be fine with the stock uprights and tierods. But if you have a lot Of miles and might need new wheelbearing and tierods the extra amount to do the Evo uprights isn't that big of a jump. Also think about labor costs as you have to disassemble the front suspension, and realign the car to do the uprights, etc so it would be cheaper in the long run to do everything at once.

On the home front: Just tell her the shocks are worn out and a serious safety issue. If she doesn't buy that argument, roses and jewelry work wonders

Or you can be like me and just have your business expense reimbursement checks sent to you and not directly deposited into the joint account.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Greg,
I think I'll go with the ROW M030 w/ Bilstein HDs first and see what happens - my car has low miles (32K). I like the "safety issue" and plus some flowers and jewelry... Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:04 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

You guys are SOOOOO busted if the significant other ever reads these posts!

Clive.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Jean, give me a call as there should be no issue going to the 2wd setup... Are the front ABS wheels installed preoperly?
Bob
Thanks for the support. Turned out to be a faulty ABS control unit, last thing I needed. It is fixed now and works perfectly. I love the balance of the car with 2WD, the "push" is noticeably different (no Pull) and the steering is lighter and more precise even with my MSC 265 upfront and (-2 deg.). THANKS!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:43 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
I love the balance of the car with 2WD, the "push" is noticeably different (no Pull) and the steering is lighter and more precise even with my MSC 265 upfront and (-2 deg.). THANKS!
Jean, Are you running 265 MPSC's up front and if so can you tell what size rims and offsets to make that work. And why not 2.5 or more camber?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jean
Bob
Thanks for the support. Turned out to be a faulty ABS control unit, last thing I needed. It is fixed now and works perfectly. I love the balance of the car with 2WD, the "push" is noticeably different (no Pull) and the steering is lighter and more precise even with my MSC 265 upfront and (-2 deg.). THANKS!
That is GREAT jean. I knew there had to be something else there. -2 is a little light for the high speed circuits. I run -3 F and -2.7 rear now with the 2WD setup. At 180 going into the banking at Fontana, it is SCARY.....
Old 03-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

JR, Bob,

I am driving this setup on the street, the settings will change on the track. It is a street car for God Sakes! Those 1000 lbs springs should be forbidden on the street for anyone beyond 25 years of age, thank God I already have my kids born.
JR, my rims are 10" Cargraphic Racing up front, If I recall correctly my offset is ET 18. (I have GT2 flares).
Old 03-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
You guys are SOOOOO busted if the significant other ever reads these posts!

Clive.
I know..... I left this page up on my computer last night and guess who read it....

She is wondering who got the jewelry....

Quick Reply: Review of Evo Upright, Tie Rods and Goodyear F1 GS-D3 Tires