Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to start when warmed up (help very much appreciated!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
kevin harmon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start when warmed up (help very much appreciated!)

Hey everyone,

I've noticed a problem starting my car lately.

Normally, I just sit in it, turn over the key and she pops to life ( I don't touch the gas pedal.) Just recently I've noticed that, only when the car is warmed up, when I turn the key to start it, the engine seems to turn over quickly (strong starter motor?) and not "light off" right away as before. I usually then stop cranking after maybe 2 seconds of this, try again, and it fires up the second time after a little cranking. Occasionally, I've also detected a fuel odor (rich starting?) when this phenomenon occurs.

Today was particularly warm for the season (78deg) and it did the same thing but with a little more drama in that I thought I was going to be stuck. The mouse finally fired up after two 3 second cranks.

So... now that it's getting warmer, I figure it's going to get worse.

Any ideas?

BTW I just had an ISV valve replacement done, although I can't correllate the problem to that service since I'm a father of a two year old girl and this has effected my memory considerably.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. tia!

Kevin Harmon
Old 03-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Kevin:

Generally speaking,....there are 3 things that can make these things hard to start when hot:

1) Failing fuel pressure relief valve (964.620.951.00). This is in the fuel pump's outlet and maintains fuel pressure when the pump isn't running.

2) Vacuum leak. Make sure those hose clamps on the ISV are tight and there are no vacuum leaks at any rubber fitting. Test for vacuum leaks with a can of carb cleaner and long nozzle. You'll hear the idle go up if the cleaner is being pulled into a spot where there is a leak.

3) Failing ignition amplifier (ignitor) or coil. Sometimes these are surprisingly difficult to pin down. We use a spare set to test this as resistance/impedance tests are inconclusive with components like these.

I'll assume that the distributor caps, rotors, plug wires, etc are in perfect condition,...........
Old 03-20-2005, 11:47 PM
kevin harmon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve. I'll take a look at that stuff in April (heading out of the country for a bit.) I'll let you know what is eventually diagnosed and fixed for another 993 data point!

See ya!

Quick Reply: Hard to start when warmed up (help very much appreciated!)