Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help - how to disassemble front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 06:32 PM
ard
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Help - how to disassemble front bumper?

Hi,

I did a search of the archives but couldn't find what I was looking for - probably too obvious (duh).

I am in the process of replacing the existing 'fog light + bumperette + amber signal' combo that is the stock look for a US 993 C2 with a 'MA Shaw turbo S duct + clear signal' combo.

I am taking off and hoping to patch the bumper as per John D's instructions.

I will have the ducts and RS splitters (also MA Shaw - yes, yes, yes, I heard all the warnings about slippery slopes ...), as well as the bumper painted - I had recently posted regarding paint shops in the SF Bay Area.

I used Robin's DIY to take the bumper off, but I am stuck at trying to get out the existing fog lights and bumperettes.

The furthest I got was to undo a metal retaining clip at the back, inboard side of the fog light assembly. I can NOT seem to get the fog light assembly to pop apart. What am I missing?

Also, how does one get the bumperettes out? Seems like I need a deep-well socket (what size?), but then the one I tried for size wouldn't even fit in the opening. How do others take the bumperettes off? It seems like there isn't a non-destructive way?

FWIW, I have learned from past experience (not on this car, luckily), that anything other than relatively gentle persuasion, especially when plastic is involved, usually yields disasterous (as in 'oh sh*t') results. Is it time to stop being overly cautious?

Many thanks in advance.

/alex
Old 03-20-2005, 06:40 PM
ard
Pro

Duh,

now I feel really dumb - peered behind the bumperette and well ... there IS a screw that holds the fog light in place.

So now the only question is how to get the bumperettes off?

Thanks again

/alex
Old 03-20-2005, 06:41 PM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ard
Bumperette should come off by prying plastic trim cover piece off (assume you already did) and using deep socket 8m i believe to remove two bolts holding bumperette on. I don't recall problem with fog light once bumperette is off. Seem to recall simply unscrew screws. Is bumperette covering any of fog light? Hope this helps. RK
Old 03-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Once you get the screw off of the foglight, you'll have to sharply yank it out. The bumperettes do require a small socket (can't recall size) and an extension.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:27 PM
ard
Pro

Alright, I got the bumperettes off w/o damaging them (not that it matters, but that's my personal preference). 8mm deep well socket in case anyone cares.

/alex
Old 03-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alex, I am in the process of the very same mod. Everything is still at Foreign West Autobody for paint.
Should be ready by Tuesday and I will begin the re-assembly. I will post pictures as I stumble though.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:56 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to thread jack, but does anyone have a pn for the little black clips (drain ports) that are on the bottom of the bumper.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmG993
Sorry to thread jack, but does anyone have a pn for the little black clips (drain ports) that are on the bottom of the bumper.
It's part number 993-631-141-01 and a whopping 37¢ from Sunset Imports.

Quick Reply: Help - how to disassemble front bumper?