Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to un-delete the back seat in a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:47 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
No wonder the 993 forum has the reputation that it does. A guy asks a technical question and ends up with a lot of useless opinion that has nothing to do with what he asked. There are lots of good reasons to buy a GT3 with backseats instead of a regular 996 and most of them have nothing to do with performance.
Uh, excuse me? The 2nd reply (by Viken) was all the information he needed. Define useless because that seemed pretty damn useful to me.

What reputation are you referring to? And if performance isn't the reason to get a GT3, what is the reason? Paleeeese.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Uh, excuse me? The 2nd reply (by Viken) was all the information he needed. Define useless because that seemed pretty damn useful to me.
I agree completely there was no need for the posts about spinners, mercedes and belittling the guy for his question.

What reputation are you referring to?
I'm referring to the reputation of being a bunch of dicks that jump on people for asking questions that some might consider trivial. Between porschefans, porschephiles and Rennlist just about every question about the now 10 year old 993 has been asked. This is a car forum inhabited by people that aren't all computer people and they are not all versed in boolean search logic (even basic searching can sometimes be an exercise in futility) OldGuy is right, this is the most useful forum there is but it could be a lot more useful to a LOT more people if there wasn't so much attitude directed towards newbies.

And if performance isn't the reason to get a GT3, what is the reason?
The biggest advantage would be an engine without a major design defect.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-20-2005 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:31 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...there was no need for the posts about spinners, mercedes and belittling the guy for his question. I'm referring to the reputation of being a bunch of dicks that jump on people for asking questions that some might consider trivial. OldGuy is right, this is the most useful forum there is but it could be a lot more useful to a LOT more people if there wasn't so much attitude directed towards newbies.
There needs to be room for a little humor on the Board, once his original question had been answered, what's the harm? I was not aware that the 993 board had a reputation for "being a bunch of dicks" - I'd like to see the forum where this generalization has been codified as a basic given. My experience on the board is quite the contrary. I often see "newbies" warmly welcomed and typically, a person will be encouraged to use the search (part of the orientation process) followed by someone providing the information requested anyway - often doing the search for them and providing the link to an examplary thread.

...The biggest advantage would be an engine without a major design defect.
If your point is that the RMS issue is a reason not to buy a NA 996, I agree - but I would never recommend the GT3 as a good alternative. Someone who wants a 996 C2 would probably not be happy with a GT3 - lots of threads about this on the GT3 board as well. Come to think of it, that person probably wouldn't be happy with a 993 either.

I hope this response does not prove your point about the "dicks" on the 993 board.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:57 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One serious issue about rear seats in GT3 - it is likely to be illeagal (?) for safety reasons without having foldable front seats. The 993RS which came with the rear seat option had foldable sport seats and not Recaro buckets which will hinder free entry/exit. Imagine you need to get out of the car in an emergency, the fixed-back seat will be an obstruction so if you care for your family you will need to take this into consideration.

Harry
Old 03-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

It seems like Cladd has changed his mind about buying a GT3, hello? Cladd, still there? Welcome to Rennlist
Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS man
One serious issue about rear seats in GT3 - it is likely to be illeagal (?) for safety reasons without having foldable front seats. The 993RS which came with the rear seat option had foldable sport seats and not Recaro buckets which will hinder free entry/exit. Imagine you need to get out of the car in an emergency, the fixed-back seat will be an obstruction so if you care for your family you will need to take this into consideration.

Harry
US-spec GT3s are available only with foldable front seats, unfortunately
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Cladd, by the way, I forgot to mention, unless they are paying for your car, don't listen to the guys who have nothing but sarcasm. This is generally a great board. Lots of resource. Welcome.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 03-24-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:18 PM
flatair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Oh Cladd, by the way, I forgot to mention, unless they are paying for your car, don't listen to the guys who have nothing but sarcasm"

Well said Mike, if you don't have anything nice to say...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:29 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, uh thanks all. Sounds like a big job. I'll have to stick with my "regular" porsche.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Cladd,
What is your "regular" Porsche?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Cladd -

Did you listen to Viken and search the GT2/GT3 forum? I wouldn't give up yet. I haven't done the search recently, but I am almost certain rear seats in the GT3 is a matter of getting the parts and screwing them in. If I recall correctly, all the mounting points are already in the body thanks to the marvel of modern mass production. You should be able to find all the parts at a wrecking yard. I just did the same thing to a 993 and the seats and belts cost less than $400.

Warning - For anyone that sees this thread in the future, adding rear seats to a 993 is NOT a bolt in operation.

Greg H.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:44 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Besides being dicks we have reputations as GREAT humourists!!!!!
At least I thought I was funny!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:51 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah Paul, you are funny for getting rid of a perfectly good 993TT for a car without back seats!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:54 PM
cladd
Racer

http://www.patstudio.com/ladd/

This is my car. Have 997S on order. Still not sure what I want. Only know that I need FOUR seats.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cladd
http://www.patstudio.com/ladd/

This is my car. Have 997S on order. Still not sure what I want. Only know that I need FOUR seats.
Very clean car! Nice example.

Quick Reply: Any way to un-delete the back seat in a GT3?