Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 3 hrs of scrubbing my underside....(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Just had to chime in again.

Surfer, you might want to proof read before hitting the send button. I understand what you mean but it reads quite differently. "Get a life" is not the nicest thing to say to someone.

Mr Sullivan, your response was handled with such class, you should be a politian. And... I can dig where you are coming from, very cathardic and **** to boot. Did you rejex those painted parts under there????? You must rejex the shocks at least so they stay purdy Riviera Blue.
You guys crack me up.

I entered my 964 in the local PCA Wash and Shine. I worked two weekends cleaning and polishing the exterior and interior. The car scored well, but I decided never again. It was clearly not rewarding enough for me. But I really understand why people do it, and thought it was a cool experience.

What summed it up for me was the guy's t-shirt next to me that said:

"Is there a hyphen between **** and Retentive?"

Mr. Sullivan, I love your "clean" car. I envy the time you get to spend on it. And yes, that will change. I know because I have three young children! But you find time. Fortunately my 2 oldest sons love my cars.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Jonathan,

Unbeliveable work! Please bring yourself and your products to my house this weekend. I have a job for you
Old 03-08-2005, 03:57 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Now that car is absolutely stunning. I love that color.

pjconner, thanks for the laugh, do you know where he got the shirt? That was funny!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Sulley,

Your car looks great - nice job. You make me wish I had followed your procedure when I had mine up on jackstands the last few months. Oh well, too late now.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric86Red911
wouldn't it be a good idea to leave the cosmoline on?
Yes, your better off leaving the cosmoline alone but good luck stopping after the first "let's see whats under it" scrape once you notice all the shiny metal hiding underneath . Of course you only do this once and then you get caught out in a rain storm (okay maybe two or three times but...)
Old 03-08-2005, 08:07 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan - Awesome job ! Looks fantastic ! My wife now understands that I am not alone in my obsession with the car and cleaning it. I have not had the opportunity to go to the extreme you have, but I did get to test out my professional steamer on the inside of the rear wheel wells. I did a quick job and what a difference. I need to get to the front wells and the bottom of the engine, I just can't find the time.
Keep up with the obsession !!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of points --

Sometimes things come across differently in writing than people mean them to, so i didnt take any great offense to Don's earlier comments...he probably didnt mean them the way they came across, and he PM'd me to apologize. Besides, I dont mean this the wrong way, but his opinion about my life is not something that gets me really spun up... i am quite happy with my life :-)

On the topic of the cosmoline, I have heard different stories. Its pretty much there for the trip on the boat over from Europe to protect against sea-salted air. Most of the Porsche technicians I have asked said that (particularly in the south) there is no risk in just removing it. Having said that, I left most of it on. On the actual underside of the car, there is quite a bit of the stuff. It is tempting when you rub some 3M adhesive remover across it and shiny metal appears underneath, but for the most part I left it on the actual bottom of the car just to be safe.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:39 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Wierd thing is, anything that would rust ie: metal is painted and/or undercoated. Cosmoline is applied over that plus all of the aluminum bits such as suspension, backsides of the wheel (overspray, really) and the engine and trans castings, which wont rust.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like my car will be on the lift longer... i swear, i really really really really TRY to like pelican parts and use them for parts... i just seem to have such terrible luck with them on stocking and shipping my parts. j

I ust got an automated email that rotors are delayed, so they have held my entire shipment (pads, rotors, etc). i hate finding out last minute like this when i was expecting the parts in a couple of days... i think i will cancel the order and try to find someone else that can source my pads and rotors quickly... very frustrating.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:04 AM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just means more time to do additional cleaning.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:17 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

Jonathan... as an Artic Silver C2S owner myself ( and one who is secretly stocking up on grooming-the- undercarriage- supplies) how come you have all the luck to continue to have all this unexpected LIFT time. Damn-- by the time YOUR project is complete none of the rest of us concours buffs will have even a fighting chance to keep up. knock it off!! Seriously, when the time comes for the 6 minutes of judging in the concours d'elegance you will have devoted what ?--400 hours or so to the chassis, windows, paint, tires, wheels, etc.etc. Not that that is a bad thing mind you. Did it for several years with my earlier P car. I just never really had the appreciation for the fact that others with similar anality ( is there is such a word) existed on Planet Earth. Or is it Planet RL. Keep up the good work and continue to report the systems and practice's you have found to be successful ( and the photos). You're the next concours guru.

Congrats. gary It all looks very adult as they say. BTW what mileage do you have on the queen?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job Jonathan!
You know, in my rainy Belgium it's just a dream to get and keep my car so clean!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Jonathan -

DId you try Paragon Products? They are in Texas and a lot of locals in the region use them. I think the contact there is named Jason.

ALso - Hans can get you decent pricing through his contacts at Boardwalk - maybe not as cheap as some but they might be in stock...
Old 02-24-2006, 05:41 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After doing a search for materials to use to clean the wheel wells, wheels, and underbody, I had to bump this to the top and say, "Great job!"
Old 02-24-2006, 05:47 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy Guacamole Batman!

Absolutely friggin' fabulous job.

Kudos!

G.

(Having 'been there' getting mine ready for 'street class' ....I know AND APPRECIATE -- the amount of effort required!)

Quick Reply: After 3 hrs of scrubbing my underside....(pics)