Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: ultimate garage/loft for the single guy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mrhude
I built this building next to my home. It is 40 ft x 88 ft and has a bonus room that is 20 ft x 88 ft. I use the upstairs for storing parts, however, it can be used for a two suite guest house or an office. I designed this and I would be glad to share the plans in Autocad format as well as the costs in 2003 dollars. It will easily store 12 cars with plenty of room to work around them.

Mike

PS: That is my trusty co-pilot Hawke.

PPS: You can never have to big of a garage and it's a great place to share time with your wife, kids, and friends!! We are an assortment of gearheads!!

very nice mrhude!! now thats a mans garage......
Old 03-05-2005, 01:17 AM
RM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just putting the finishing touches on a two-story garage with a loft. The garage is 1,200 sf centrally heated and cooled with insulated garage doors. I only put in two bays because I wanted the doors to be very wide.

The upstairs is 14' x 40' with attick trusses, it too is centrally heated and cooled. I am putting vct tile in a checkerboard pattern with some highlights. This is something I've always wanted. Now all I've got to do is find the right 993 turbo to park in it. The garage has a programable thermostat and there is nothing finer than coming out in a 30 degree day and stepping into a warm garage.

I live in FL and a garage that is not climate controlled is just too darn hot to work in in the summer. I hope I've ended that problem once and for all. I may post pictures once I get the flooring down.

Regards to all,

RM
Old 03-05-2005, 02:22 AM
nman413
Drifting

mrhude, do you have any interior pics? Would be great to see...
Old 03-05-2005, 02:32 AM
Curt911
Pro

do the gas pumps work?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:02 AM
mrhude
Racer

Curt911,
You can't pump fuel through a "visible" or glass fuel pump anymore. You used the long pump handle to pump fuel up into the glass cylinder with registered gallon marks and then it gravity flowed into your tank. The equipment is all restored and lighted, but not operative. The coke machine still works and when you're in the area, stop by for a .10 cent cold one!! The retangular unit on the right is a mobilator which was used to fill the old one quart glass oil bottles. It still works also!! I collect old cars and I use this for fun and to photograph my cars. I'm an engineering type and not very artistic, if someone has a good name for my garage, I'd like to make an antique looking sign with an artsy-fartsy flair. The best I could do was "Mike's Garage" Not very creative, but It's kinda fun!!

Jauder,
The left side of te barn is my clean area or finishing room and the right side is used for washing and maintaining equipment. I have several pieces of Kubota equipment I use to maintain my property stored in there also. We had one of those beautiful light snow falls this morning so I will get out later and take some pictures of he inside for you guys.

Thanks for your interest, it's been a fun project!!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by mrhude
Curt911,
You can't pump fuel through a "visible" or glass fuel pump anymore. You used the long pump handle to pump fuel up into the glass cylinder with registered gallon marks and then it gravity flowed into your tank. The equipment is all restored and lighted, but not operative. The coke machine still works and when you're in the area, stop by for a .10 cent cold one!! The retangular unit on the right is a mobilator which was used to fill the old one quart glass oil bottles. It still works also!! I collect old cars and I use this for fun and to photograph my cars. I'm an engineering type and not very artistic, if someone has a good name for my garage, I'd like to make an antique looking sign with an artsy-fartsy flair. The best I could do was "Mike's Garage" Not very creative, but It's kinda fun!
was just curious, we had pumps like that at my grandparents farm, which were replaced in the early 80s just before the passed, wish I snagged them, not sure what happened to them... Looks great!
Old 03-05-2005, 04:11 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

mrhude. I'd like to see those plans and build cost data. Do you any 'A' drawings in jpeg? Sneak peek. I'm property hunting now, in fact I went out again this morning. Plan to add an out building garage like this, separate from the home.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:57 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STAR57
There is more to life than a large garage, I have a 3 car garage and thats plenty, pay enough taxes on it as it is.
What about having a nice Wife or GF to enjoy a nice glass of red with, after taking a nice spin on the Porsche...thats better than a 5 car garage.

What about taking your son or daughter for a spin, getting an ice cream and coming back to a 3 car garage...its better than having a 5 car garage and being alone with no one to share it with.
a 3 car garage isin't plenty if you have more than 3 cars.

what is really curious is the correlation between garage capacity and ability to wed and reproduce. i couldn't say 'for sure', but i think i've seen 5 car garages with basketball hoops and big wheels in the driveway. yeah- i bet you could have both.

Quick Reply: OT: ultimate garage/loft for the single guy??