Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need advice - replace valve springs or not

Hi guys (and gal),

I need some advice, as I'm being wishy-washy due to sticker shock. I have my car in for valve guide replacement, and a myriad of while-you-are-at-it fixes. I am down to my last few decisions on what to replace. My main question right now is whether I should replace the valve springs or not. Maybe retainers too??

Any opinions out there????

Stats - daily driver, maybe 2 track sessions a year. Just over 110k miles in hot Texas weather.

Here are the main items I am replacing so far:
Valve Guides (non-OEM, silicon bronze)
Valve covers
Complete head gasket set
All O2 sensors
Timing chain guides and tensioners
distibutor caps and rotors
ignition wires
temp sensor
oil temp sensor
all belts
air, fuel, oil filters

....anyway, you get my point. Condition of the springs appears fine. So is it worth the $500 extra, or a waste? I'm trying to balance "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I don't want to miss this opportunity either.

By the way, I'm taking pics during the process. Will post 'em later...

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine oil return tubes?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:30 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrienne,

Just had an engine-out work up completed on my '96 C4(see my previous post, early Jan. '05) so
I can empathize with the sticker shock; I'm looking at my invoice now.

I inquired about changing the valves and springs, even upgrading to Titanium. In the end, EPE kept the original springs, but did install new exhaust valves. I don't plan to track, DE or AX my car.

Good luck.

P.S.
I just "got" your license plate. Cool.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang girl (Arkansas term), that's some miles! I hope mine makes it that long before I need a valve job.

Enjoy your "new" car when all that work is done.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I know, lots of miles. What can I say? I drive the crap out of it! I'm uber excited about getting my kinda-sorta new car back. I'll have to close my eyes when I get the bill, but other than that, I'm happy about it.

Toga - Engine oil return tubes are also on the replacement list, as well as the oil pressure sender (sprung a leak) and oil temp sender.

coltj - thanks for the info. I may need new valves too, but we'll take a look first.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:17 PM
mrhude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrienne,
If you're going to race it and reuse parts that have that many miles on them, consider having the rocker arms and valve springs magna-fluxed. It is a non-destructive and relatively inexpensive test that will reveal any stress cracks or internal flaws. These small stress cracks can result in a catastrophic failure (big word for very expensive). Porsche does a lot of R&D to select the best materials for their valves. Check with someone that has more recent experience, however, the old tradional wisdom with air cooled engines was to use the stock valves. The technician will check the valve length and diameter once he tears it down for inspection and will then advise you on the need to replace them. The more exotic valve materials are great if you're tearing the engine down on a routine basis, but I have not seen any longetvity with the exotic valves used on the street.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old 03-03-2005, 08:27 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exhaust valves(OEM) were about $105 ea. Big bucks, but certainly spend that $$ before the valves springs if there's any question. My C4 had only 47K before rebuild although 2 of the exhaust valves were causing 12-20% loss in leak-down test. Did your mechanic perform a leak-down before the tear-down or better yet, what prompted the work?

You're right. Once you start driving the "new" car, you'll forget about the bill!!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:42 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrienne:

I'm going through this very exercise at this moment.

I opted to do the titanium retainers and better valve springs primarily because I auto-cross my car and do see the high end of the RPM range. The concern is operating at high RPM and valve float with the stock springs . If your intent is a street only car with very few track excursions, I would think your safe with the stock springs and retainers as Porsche designed it.

The desire to do as much as you can while the engine is out is strong, but it sure adds up fast.

I think there needs to be a therapy /support group for coping with major rebuild costs................yikes

Good Luck,

Jeff N
Old 03-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ah, man!! I was almost at a decision there! Then the Director of Parts and Mods has to chime in with horror stories!!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had an upper end valve job on old '84 911 at 110K (ONLY because head had to be removed due to a snapped plug!!!), didn't replace the springs. Next owner (who I knew) never said he had a problem.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:28 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
I know, lots of miles. What can I say? I drive the crap out of it! I'm uber excited about getting my kinda-sorta new car back...
Hey Girl!!!

I hope you have that car back by the time we are in Bourne on April 7th!!!
I wanna (California girl term) see it!!!

Seriously, once you are doing the work, why not get it all done so you don't have to worry about it later? What's the old saying, better safe than sorry??

JoAnne

PS: What's another $595.00 anyway???!!! Just don't buy that pair of Jimmy Choo's

Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Too late on the shoes. I just bought 5 pair last weekend! Oops! I guess my lead foot is bored right now, not having an outlet.

I'm thinking I'll bring our new toy to Boerne. Keith just got a Lotus Elise. It's the cutest little car! Wait til you see it!

Good point on the addt'l $$$. It would be added assurance. But it just seems that if I do the springs, might as well do retainers, and then maybe go with titanium while I'm at it, and might as well do RS clutch and LWF while I'm in there, and....see my point? I gotta draw the line somewhere. I just haven't figured out that line yet.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

"Keith just got a Lotus Elise. It's the cutest little car!"

Ouch.... that is not good for a guy's ego. You are a car girl, don't you know you are not supposed to use the word "cute"? I hate it whem people call my car(s) cute.

Quick Reply: Need advice - replace valve springs or not