993 Forum 1995-1998

Exhaust problems questions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:13 PM
95993RS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust problems questions???

OK on my new 97'TT I have an interesting/perplexing/*&$%*$*# problem...
I am getting a very strong exhaust smell in the cabin when I run the heater. I took it to my mechanic who thinks/thought? it was coming from my drivers side exhaust manifold/heat exchanger because he and I both could hear a questionable ticking sound from around the manifold area....so off comes the drivers side manifold and a visual inspection reveals nothing(shielding hides a lot) and then filled it with water to sit overnight with no apparent leaks.
I do believe that heat could play into the the expansion of a small crack thus allowing for no water to leak out. The next step is to devise some sort of a pressure test to see if it can be found that way.
I have found a used manifold for $750 and a new one is around $1200 and 3-4 weeks from Germany.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Se you at Rumble #2 or 2.5
Brian
Old 03-03-2005, 03:44 PM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, I am not even sure if this helps, but I had a strong smell in cabin problem (not sure if only happened with heat on), but solution was that muffler either was leaking from can or where it is attached to tailpipe. In any event, replacement of muffler totally got rid of problem. Good luck with solving.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

I have this same problem. I checked the entire exhaust system for leaks and found nothing. Did you ever find out what it was?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 AM
prophet60091
Intermediate

Default I have the same problem

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue. When the heater is running, I get a very strong exhaust smell in the cabin. I won't need heat here in Atlanta for quite a while, but I'd rather take care of it before I do.

I seem to recall reading a thread about a flap/valve somewhere that prevents exhaust from mixing with the heated air coming to the cabin. I have searched but am unable to locate it.

Anyone know what the problem might be, or what keywords to search to find it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:54 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I have an exhaust intrusion problem on my '95 to the point where after being in traffic today, I now have a headache. Seems like a less than idea situation.

All this did seem to start after I did some exhaust work and unfortunately the system was not a perfect bolt up, just a hair off on the passenger side, and after reading this I'm wondering if the exhaust flanges or the doughnuts on that side are leaking a bit.

The thing is, when the windows are up, I do not seem to get that faint sense that I'm being killed by my car, but with the windows down.. breathing seems just a tad labored (yes.. I'm thinking this is a very serious problem). I'm going to check those flanges from the pipes to mufflers and see if anything looks like it is leaking. I do not relish the idea of going in there again to muck around but it's better than slow death.

I'll be watching this thread for updates, and post my own if I figure this thing out before I end up in the E.R.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have any suggestions?

So far I can't find a leak, and I don't seem to smell it with the windows up and the heater on. I did notice the window seal around the rear was indented in two spots near the top of the window.. is it possible it could be drawing fumes in there? I did notice that the rear window's interior was really REALLY nasty with what looked like it could be exhaust byproduct!

Quick Reply: Exhaust problems questions???