Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your light switch knob lighted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Knute
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, a bayonet base DOES imply twisting... The "bayonet" refers to the pins that protrude from the side of the base in lieu of threads. As a good example, the "BC" at the beginning of the part number for most turn signal bulbs stands for "bayonet cap".

see: http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/art...?ArticleID=7#8

But, having said all that, I appreciate this thread, because now I will be tearing apart my headlight switch to put a functioning bulb in there!

-Knute
Old 02-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread did cause me to go look at my car at the shop where the race seats are being installed. Actually, they do light...very dim (the bulbs, not me!) and then brighter when turned on. I also realized that i have not driven the car at night in over 18 months......
Old 02-28-2005, 07:36 PM
joolsbourne
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Knute
Actually, a bayonet base DOES imply twisting... The "bayonet" refers to the pins that protrude from the side of the base in lieu of threads. As a good example, the "BC" at the beginning of the part number for most turn signal bulbs stands for "bayonet cap".

see: http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/art...?ArticleID=7#8

But, having said all that, I appreciate this thread, because now I will be tearing apart my headlight switch to put a functioning bulb in there!

-Knute
Thanks for saving me from writing (Doh!), I like to think I know my bulbs (not just tulips and daffodils)!
All bulbs in UK houses are bayonet type, push and twist.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

This explains why, when I bought the car, I thought why the hell would Porsche light all the ***** except the headlight switch? Now I know...... Mine's burned out.

Add this to the list.

Thanks for
Old 02-28-2005, 11:22 PM
rockstjarna
AutoX

Ok, maybe the silly followup question of the day...

How about the cigerette lighter? Does it light up? I know there is a light inside the dash piece when it's out.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:05 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
This explains why, when I bought the car, I thought why the hell would Porsche light all the ***** except the headlight switch? Now I know...... Mine's burned out.

Add this to the list.

Thanks for
LOL..I thought the same thing. I guess as this light bulb is always on..it's the first one to burn out. Most of us not being the original owners have never seen this bulb ever to work right.

On another note, I wasn't able to remove the bulb from the ****. It is stuck in there pretty hard. I was able to remove the fog light one as this **** you can twist competely out and then you can remove the light bulb a lot easier. I don't know if this is called bayonet mount, but the bulb looks just like a Xmas type of lightbulb, It has two wires that come out from both sides of the bulb and these make contact with two metal pices in the socket. If you have ever tried fixing those darn Xmas lights that misteriously burn while in storage every year...you know what I am talking about.

However, I think that the bulb on the headlight **** is different than the fogs or heated mirrors.

I would love to see the PET drawing of the light switch **** so I can figure it out. Anyone with a scanner, or PDF writer?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:53 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Cab:
PM me your fax or email. I can scan the PET pages you need. However, they show very little for detail. The bulb for the headlight (backlight) is the same for all the ***** that are backlit - I swapped the bulbs originally from one to the other to test the circuit so I know that are the same p/n. To pull the bulb out from its mount, I used a tweezer with a bit of duct tape wrapped around the end for grip. It should pull straight out.

Rock:
The cigerette lighter **** itself is not lit. Just the backlighting for the hole as you mentioned.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So just to recap...

All the switch ***** (l-r, rear defrost, fogs, and cigarette lighter) including the light switch **** located next to the ignition switch should be lighted when the headlights are engaged?

Old 03-01-2005, 12:50 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Arrwin,

Hi.

All are internally lit, except the cigerette lighter, which just has the 'hole' backit when you pull out the lighter itself. The lighter **** itself is not backlit.

The headlight switch on the far LH side is lit whenever the ignition switch is on. The rest are lit only when the headlamp switch is turned to position # 1 or # 2.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Great. Thanks for the confirmation Mike. Helpful as always!

I didn't forget...I will make it to your hangar and Watkins Glen one day!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

You are welcome to the "Caps Clubhouse" anytime. Beers on me. Talk soon.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
johnwelch
Advanced

How does the headlight switch unscrew? It a left or right hand thread? I've rotated my switch fully in both directions and encounter a lot of resistance. I don't want to break the switch just to change a bulb!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

John,

I don't know that the headlight switch '****' (the part with the soft rubber grip and legend plate with the icon on it) unscrews or not. I haven't tried it.

But, doing so isn't necessary at all. Just pull back the rubber lip on the **** and pop out the center legend plate that shows the light bulb on it. You can use a small flat-tipped jewlers screwdriver to get behind the rubber lip, just be careful not to scratch the legend plate or tear the rubber. The legend will pop right out. Replace the bulb (p/n 900-631-132-90, 1.2 watt) and reinsert the legend plate. The toughest part is getting the legend plate centered because the rubber grips it pretty tight. We want to stay symetrical, right?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:03 PM
johnwelch
Advanced

Thanks, Mike. I had tried prying the rubber ring away from the switch, it was just a PITA.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:06 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwelch
How does the headlight switch unscrew? It a left or right hand thread? I've rotated my switch fully in both directions and encounter a lot of resistance. I don't want to break the switch just to change a bulb!
The Light switch does not unscrew. You must do as Mike says and just remove the front plate off by taking out of the rubber lip.

The Heated mirror and the Fog light switch unscrew to the left and they will come out with a metal stem that is about 1 inch long with the thread at the end. You will still need to remove the front plate to get to these bulbs, but since they are out of the car, it is easier to work with.

Do not replace the center cap until you have screw back the ***** in place or the mirror and fog light legend may not be straight. So, just screw them in place and then replace the caps so ther are straight.

I bought my bulbs today from the P dealer. They were $1.50 each. They look just like Xmas lights.

Quick Reply: Is your light switch knob lighted?