Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polar Silver stone guard question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:56 AM
Cy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Midnight, I used the factory Porsche parts.

Regards,
Old 04-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Thanks Cy - I would not otherwise have even considered using factory guard. Interesting that the paint had faded, I know it probably would have but interesting to have someone else find out without having to take my guard off.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Cy
Racer

Midnight,

Yes, I was surprised by the extent of the fading . . . my car seemed dark until I saw how dark it must have been with factory fresh paint. Probably not a problem on certain colors. My car has always been garaged my me and the PO, however, being that it lives in the South maybe the strengh of the sun when it is outside also contributed to the extent of the fading.

Further, this fading is why I decided not to go with the 3M Invinsa-shield type coverings for the entire front of the car as I would guess a similar fading difference between protected an unprotected paint could occur. If similar changes in paint colors occurred, then you would always have to keep Invinsa-Shield on to mask the difference or get the front end repainted anyway. So, I decided to run without it and enjoy the car.

Regards,
Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Cy
Racer

Midnight,

Forgot to say that the fading was a good reason to go with the factory parts as they were the same size as the originals. Not sure if the aftermarket ones are exactly the same or not . . . might be worth checking out. Or peel a piece of yours off first and see if you've got any discoloration considerations before ordering.

Regards,
Old 04-24-2005, 11:35 AM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Got around to doing this the other night - quick job, just 2 beers. The clear invincas look much better on my polar silver but are definitely thinner. Very easy DIY.

Quick Reply: Polar Silver stone guard question