Sponsored by:

Polar Silver stone guard question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,075 Likes on 2,861 Posts

I just replaced one side with Polar Silver factory unit (finally found one without creases or peeling backing) and it's darker than the rest of the car. On the other side, the original stone guard is lighter than the rest of the car. I think they must've varied the Polar Silver paint tint over time. BTW, don't ever get too close with a pressure washer at the DIY car wash - eats right through those things (ask why I replaced one side)...
Old 02-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More likely that everything EXCEPT the new stone guard has changed over time. Paint, old stone guard, etc.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but any other opinions on replacing polar silver stone guards with invinca-shield clear ones? At $70 a pair versus about $160 a pair, I'd rather go with invinca unless there's a reason not to.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:17 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but any other opinions on replacing polar silver stone guards with invinca-shield clear ones? At $70 a pair versus about $160 a pair, I'd rather go with invinca unless there's a reason not to.
The Invinca-Shield pieces I used on my '97 C2 fit perfectly and are actually slightly larger than OEM, which is good. Quality 3M film product as well. Definitiely use the Invinca-Shield pieces.

BTW, I found it much easier to pull off the OEM stone guards with no heat. As long as the car is reasonably warm, just catch an edge and slowly work off. This method left much less residue to clean up. The 3M Adhesive Remover, soft edge body-shop 'spatula' and micro-fiber towels are a must as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Thanks - the quality of Invinca sounds good... my question is specific to the silver vs clear issue though. Any reason not to buy clear for a polar silver car?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Monkey,
If you decide to go with clear... please give us an update of the looks and durability. TIA
Old 04-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I was told that there are no longer COLORED OEM stone guards manufactured...only clear.....anyone buy colored stone guards recently?

Marc
Old 04-14-2005, 05:09 PM
djames
Instructor

I purchased a pair of stoneguards through the dealer last month. Clear was the only option available.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:31 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Sunset has them in silver. My decision would be easier if there was no longer an option. It's not huge money, but I have a feeling I'll screw up the install and would rather buy the half priced clear ones twice than the silver ones twice.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:02 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My feeling is that when the time comes to replace mine, I'll opt for clear as I don't like the how the OEM ones I have give a slight purplish hue. The closer to invisible, the better.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:42 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Sunset told me they could order me GW stone guards. Funny thing is that one side was more expensive then they other. I also could get clear ones. I am thinking of going with Invinca, I am checking to see if they have a shap similar to that of the ones used on an ' Turbo S' body. Either way I probably get the Invinca film. I hope to get it done in the next few weeks. The discolored guards stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Cy
Racer

A key consideration I can think of is the thickness. Those shields take a beating and I'd want to use something of similar thickness to the factory pieces to ensure the paint was properly protected from rocks and debris thrown from the front wheels.

Regards,
Old 04-15-2005, 12:39 AM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I was thinking the same thing. The reason I'm replacing the guards in the first place is because they're pretty beaten up - they've taken a lot for the team. but I also agree with the purple color of the OEMs. I think I'll remove them and if the paint looks good underneath, replace with invinca clear.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Cy
Racer

You'll probably be quite surprised. When I replaced mine they looked terrible and I thought the paint would have taken a beating, too. However, much to my surprise all the damage was well contain by the shields . . . the paint was perfect . . . although, quite a few shades darker!! It was funny, I thought with the new clear shields the difference in paint color would be noticeable. However, when the new shields went on the match was perfect again.

Anyway, as I posted 2 or 3 years ago when I replaced mine, it has to be one of the biggest "bang for the buck" athestic enhancements you can make. The change really was tremendous. The old ones were beat up, had yellowed, and had wax embedded at the edges . . . they were very visible. The new ones had a dramatic impact on the appear of the car (at least to me) as they virtually "disappeared".

Overall, it's amazing the difference small details can make. I replaced all my bumperettes and washer nozzles as the same time as the shields. Really made the car a little sharper.

Regards,
Old 04-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Cy - Did you use 3M or OEM clear?

Quick Reply: Polar Silver stone guard question