Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eibach with bilstein for rear and koni for front?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:31 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eibach with bilstein for rear and koni for front?

Dear all,

I have eibach springs and need to change my shocks.

It looks like Konis are the best deal, but I can't seem to find rear koni shocks (it looks like they discontinued them as per past posts), so I figured I'd put koni's to the front and bilstein to the rear.

How does that sounds?

By the way, I bought my springs used and there is a little bit of rust on two of them, is that an issue?

Thanks,

Pierre
Old 02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, I would not mix shocks. As for the rust, it could become a problem. Get rid of it and repaint the springs for protection.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:47 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't mix shocks, either. IMHO, suspension is the last place you want to save money on with these cars.

I'd go Bilstein HDs w/ RoW m030 springs.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:50 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

I agree that mixing doesn't sounds optimal, but the koni go for 170 when bilstein go for about 350 a piece - that's almost 400usd together...
Is there any "hard facts" against it?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:53 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pierre_l
Is there any "hard facts" against it?
Not that I've seen. You asked for feedback, you got some... do what you want at this point, it's your car.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:03 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you, I did appreciate your feedback (english is not my native language, my words don't always come out as intended). what I meant was wether there were differences in the way they are built or something like that.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:36 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you hurt Kelly's feelings. I'm sure he was reacting to your asking a question, getting what I think you'll find to be a consensus answer & then debating.

Suspension design is very complex, especially on a high performance car. The components should be matched. When you mismatch shocks you don't know what you'll get, e.g., how the car will react if you hit a bump at high speed. It might be fine, or it might put you into a ditch. Like running w/2 different shoes. The same is true for mismatched springs, tires, etc. Simply, it's your car & you're free to ruin it as you wish.

BTW, I would never consider buying a 993 w/mismatched suspension components unless the price were low enough to pay to make it right. Even then, I'd question the owner's "attention to detail." It would also make me worry about other problems where the owner may have diminished the car by having chosen the cheapest way rather than the right way. Obviously, my opinion.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:06 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan is correct, as usual... My apologies if you took my last post the wrong way.

Again, I reiterate... suspension is the last place I would try to save money on for these cars. My opinion is to select the very best that will work for your needs and buy that. If it means forgoing doing the job now to save a bit to do it right, I'd elect to wait. Do a search of past suspension threads and you will see how involved a process it is to select what is "right" for you.

Also, I honestly mean for you to have good luck with your car. For many of us on this board, these cars are a very special part of our lives and they get treated as such.

And most of all... welcome to Rennlist.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Shock manufacturers have a great deal of experience with the valving, rebound, compression, etc. of their products and have spent considerable time and money testing these products. IMHO, you're doing your own beta testing by mixing two brands of shocks, hoping it all works out.

Don't cheap out on your 993; it deserves better.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:35 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Pierre, DON’T DO IT!
It would be a little like playing Russian roulette. If you were ever to push your car near its limits things could get real ugly, real fast. You wouldn't put different tires on from front to rear, would you?

Last edited by 911XTC; 02-22-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:43 PM
pierre_l
Instructor

OK you guys sold me on this one.

I'll put 4 bilsteins (or another brand? - it doesn't seem like there is anything else if I don't consider pss9 and the like).

Thanks for the feedback.

Pierre
Old 02-22-2005, 06:39 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might try contacting Boris Teksler, he had Koni custom build some rear shocks and was quite happy with them. PSS9's are nice, go for those! Good luck...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:52 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911XTC
...You wouldn't put different tires on from front to rear, would you?
Although I wouldn't, some here would. It's been hotly debated several times w/a few strong defenders of the practice.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:03 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
Although I wouldn't, some here would. It's been hotly debated several times w/a few strong defenders of the practice.
I know, But I learned the hard way. two tow trucks later(2nd one to un stick the 1st one) and damaged pride. I wont be doin that again.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Like others have mentioned, dont mix and match suspension components. One could mix them if you could get the damper manufactures to give-up their valving rates etc., then one could compare etc. But that would be similar to pushing rope

Stick with Bilstein HD's (or PSS-9's if you really desire adjustability). I would also strongly recommend the factory ROW M030 springs as well.

Quick Reply: eibach with bilstein for rear and koni for front?