Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing cone filter with motor sound air box

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005 | 12:45 AM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Default Replacing cone filter with motor sound air box

When I bought my car, it already had a K&N cone filter on it. I've decided to replace the cone filter with the stock motor sound air box. Besides the motor sound air box and paper filter, will I need any other parts? Also, I seem to remember others saying that there was some trick to replacing the stock air box once it has been removed. Can anyone help? TIA. Take care, Rob.
Old 02-18-2005 | 01:09 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob Kwate
Also, I seem to remember others saying that there was some trick to replacing the stock air box once it has been removed.
Rob-

From what I've read, the 95's are not difficult, but the 96-98 airboxes are near impossible to reinstall. Hope I'm wrong and someone will say it's not difficult cause I've been holding off removing my airbox in fear that I won't be able to reinstall it.

What year is your car?
Old 02-18-2005 | 10:29 AM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Sorry, my car is a 96 with varioram.
Old 02-18-2005 | 11:12 AM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Mine has a cone also, installed by the previous owner. Is it worth keeping it in despite the hassle of cleaning, oil being sucked into the intake etc??? Or should I just put the motorsound airbox back on??
Old 02-18-2005 | 12:01 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim
Rob-

From what I've read, the 95's are not difficult, but the 96-98 airboxes are near impossible to reinstall. Hope I'm wrong and someone will say it's not difficult cause I've been holding off removing my airbox in fear that I won't be able to reinstall it.

What year is your car?
Kelly,
I would be careful installing a cone in an OBDII car. I tried it and kept getting a CEL after 50 miles or so of driving. Seems the O2 sensors can't adjust to the extra air. Maybe others have had better luck. Went back to a stock filter and then to a K&N box filter (not for power - only for more sound). No CEL issues.
This was what I had and ended up removing:
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2005 | 04:17 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex,

Thanks for the advice, but I wasn't even thinking of going to a cone. I need to replace my stock airbox with another I have lying around due to the PO's shop using a screw to secure the airbox lid after the clamp broke and ended up making a hole into the back half of the box.
Old 02-18-2005 | 06:18 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Rob-

What year is your car?
kkim, I installed the motorsound box and filter on my '96 in about 15 min.
Sure its a little tight, but difinatly do-able. It wasn't a lot of $ either.
Old 02-18-2005 | 06:24 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911XTC
kkim, I installed the motorsound box and filter on my '96 in about 15 min.
Sure its a little tight, but difinatly do-able. It wasn't a lot of $ either.

Thank you for that info. I seem to remember something about some hose connections being the problem when reinstalling. Is that an issue you recall when doing yours?

Last edited by kkim; 02-18-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2005 | 09:19 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Thank you for that info. I seem to rememeber something about some hose connections being the problem when reinstalling. Is that an issue you recall when doing yours?
I noticed engine side of the new box was identical to the one allready on the car. So all you need to do is put on the new motorsound cover. It also came with a neew filter too but a K&N might be nice. Love the sound!
Old 02-18-2005 | 09:27 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911XTC
I noticed engine side of the new box was identical to the one allready on the car. So all you need to do is put on the new motorsound cover. It also came with a neew filter too but a K&N might be nice. Love the sound!
So, are you saying you only changed the airbox cover with the holes in them along w/ the filter and left the back side of the airbox alone?

My concern is with that back section of the airbox.
Old 02-18-2005 | 09:33 PM
911XTC
Advanced

So, are you saying you only changed the airbox cover with the holes in them along w/ the filter and left the back side of the airbox alone?

My concern is with that back section of the airbox.
Yup. The stock back is the same as the motorsound back. If you need to change the back too, sorry, cant help you there. It was easy on my 964 though, I cant imagine them beeing much different.
Old 02-19-2005 | 12:38 AM
tonytab1
6th Gear

kkim,

In order to take the back half of the airbox out it have to rotate about 30 degree, and since there are no room to do this with the box in there, you have to loosen up the clamp on the other end of the hose and rotate the hose itself and that will release the box.
Old 02-19-2005 | 12:51 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Tony... What about putting it back in... did you have problems w/ some hoses connecting to the box? Sorry for all the questions, but without ever having taken mine out, I'm not sure what I'm going to encounter back there.
Old 02-19-2005 | 01:16 AM
tonytab1
6th Gear

Putting it back is a little trickier, since, you have to put the back half of the filter in first, turns the hose so it will lock together, then have to squeeze your hand back there to hold the clamp/hose in place while you tighten up the clamp screw with the other hand. Its tricky but after a few tries you should get a hang of it. Good luck.

Last edited by tonytab1; 02-19-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2005 | 01:45 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks... I'll give it a go.

Mahalo

Quick Reply: Replacing cone filter with motor sound air box