Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Extra thread fabrication or lowering collars for Bilstein HDs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 911XTC

Speaking of suspension setteling, I noticed that my front end changes by more then 1/4 in depending on how much fuel is in the tank. Just something to think about if you're going for a particular lowerd look.
I also had the car aligned and corners balanced too. So with that ... it does take in consideration of the driver's weight (me).
Old 02-19-2005, 11:03 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

IMHO from what I know usually there is an inch rake towards the front...not the rear for weight distribution purposes. Did you corner balance the car? I must caution you that if you get the corner balance horribly wrong you can have some very bad suprises... When you play with the ride height you change dramatically the corner weights of the car....

DOH...you just replied to my Q as I was typing it!!!... never mind! Still I'm kind of surprised about the rake difference though!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Danny,

I noted the wrong height in the rear... it should be 24.25"
Old 02-19-2005, 11:41 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Originally posted by 911XTC

I also had the car aligned and corners balanced too. So with that ... it does take in consideration of the driver's weight (me).
A good shop will corner balance your car with your equivalent weight (sand bags?) sitting in the drivers seat. Most people will probably notice some ride height differences from left to right after a proper corner balance. There is a build tolerance in the body assembly (especially the fenders) that can cause these discrepancies. As DJF1 suggests, its most important to get the corner balancing right and let the ride height numbers fall where they may.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:45 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911XTC

A good shop will corner balance your car with your equivalent weight (sand bags?) sitting in the drivers seat.
Yep... I was in the driver seat during the corner balancing.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:05 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tony;

Car looks great. When are you going to decide which set of wheels to run? 996TT on driver side, 993TT on pass side. Tough choice. Hope you had the same sized tires on left and right for the alignment.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:42 AM
winsome
Instructor

Hi,

Can someone give me the information as to where I can order the lowering collar from Mark and Laura?

Many Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Tony, nice look. I need to get my car more in line like that. The car in Hal's avatar looks cool too. I love that squated look! Makes the rims look bigger as well.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:32 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Hergesheimer 949.458.7223. They are located in Lake Forest, CA. The wed address is http://www.hergesheimer.com/
Old 02-20-2005, 01:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony,

1) let me say your car is so gorgeous... one of my favorite cars on rennlist, with the polar silver, matching seat backs, and oh yeah, its a Turbo too... :-) If i can ever afford to upgrade, your car is where its at for me...same color, equipment, etc... so nice.

2) i think the ride height looks great. definitely about right in the front, any lower it would seem tough to drive without massive scraping (even with front protection bar)

3) since i dont do much track work, i wonder how necessary the corner balancing is for me (?)

4) you and others seem to quote the fender numbers for ride height. isnt the proper way to do this from the bottom of the car at the two points suggested in the workshop manual? registered from these two points in milimeters is how the technician measured mine the first time... i intended to instruct them to put the car to RS height standards... i have seen other 993s at that height and it looked great

this is all great info for when my collars show up and i get this done...
Old 02-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Boostid

Car looks great. When are you going to decide which set of wheels to run? 996TT on driver side, 993TT on pass side. Tough choice. Hope you had the same sized tires on left and right for the alignment.

Hey Hal,

Thanks for the kind words. The passenger side pic was at West End Alignment. The Driver side pic was at Wheel Enhancement. So the car is running on the 996TT-S wheels. I kept my set of rubbers (225/285) since they are 90% new. I really do like the look of the 996TT wheels and the "S" has a little different color rather than the normal silver. When I am ready for a new set of tires I will go to 235s/295s or 235s/315s.

I hope you get your car back soon with all the new mods...
Old 02-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by 993inNC

Tony, nice look. I need to get my car more in line like that. The car in Hal's avatar looks cool too. I love that squated look! Makes the rims look bigger as well.
Hey Chris, thanks. Although I haven't had much of a chance to drive the car yesterday becasue we were in the middle of a monsooon. But it definitely an improved feel with the HDs and the sway bars.

BTW, Hal's rims lare 19".... that's why they look really nice inside those wheell wells.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Jonathan,

Thank you for your kind words... keep us posted to your result.

And also Congrats to you and your wife on the upcoming new addtion.... I have two and they sure keep us busy.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:33 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I thought Hal's rims looked overly large.....didn't ask for fear of sounding stupid ..but I did notice it, let the record show!

Tony are you also running the stock spring with the HD's like Steve A? My car see's mainly street time with the hopes of hitting a few DE's this year, so I don't want to feel like I'm riding on a brick.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:56 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

911XTC, The M030 sway bars remain in the stock location with no
clearance issues. Also retained the fixed M030 links.
I haven't figure out how to reduced the size of my pics to post, but
if anyone desires pics just give me your email address and I'll
send some.

Quick Reply: Extra thread fabrication or lowering collars for Bilstein HDs?