Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets in cars equipped with airbags...you will be surprised to learn that..

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Unhappy Helmets in cars equipped with airbags...you will be surprised to learn that..

SCCA recently issued a statement..."It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical services that the use of full face or closed face helmets while driving vehicles with active air bag restraining systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a driver's position, the air bag axis is on a level with the driver's chin."

"In a crash with an airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full face helmetcan be so powerful that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out." (Herbert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999.) This applies to vehicles that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in vehivles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language is currently being considered for 2005 which could appear in an early 2005 issue of "Fastrack." If you have any questions please contact the SCCA at 800 770 2055.

The above information is from Grassroots Motorsports, Page 88, Volume 22, Number 2, April 2005.

If this is the straight scoop (Why would they lie?), is an open faced helmet with a HANS device...about a $1,500 investment...the best way to set up the SRS equipped car?

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-17-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:31 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it's time to pull the bag and install Momo wheel (I've been planning it on my autocross car for a while anyway).
Old 02-17-2005, 12:32 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so how would fractures to the jaw be allievated by removing just the face shield? Did I miss something?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:04 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read the SCCA Technical Bulletin - November 2004
Old 02-17-2005, 01:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I just bought a Momo Mod .07 wheel and disconnected the airbag. If I tap something on the track, at the very least, I don't want to have to pay for getting the airbag stuffed back into the wheel.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:53 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the airbag in the steering wheel even reach those of us secured with a 6 point belt in a pole position seat?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I think it's time to pull the bag and install Momo wheel (I've been planning it on my autocross car for a while anyway).
The attached pic is my Momo. Right size and thickness. V Nice.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
If this is the straight scoop (Why would they lie?), it seems that the way to go is an open faced helmet with a HANS device...about a $1,500 investment...
I have not seen anyone suggest using a HANS with an open faced helmet. I don't think it will work as that style of helmet would not restrain the rotation of your head.

Other comments...
Open face does not equal closed without face shield.
If you wonder how far you will move in a crash, try loosineing your 5/6 point belts. About a foot or so should be close to a 20-30g crash. 2 feet or so should approximate a 100g crash.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Unhappy

Note: I am just the devil's advocate here. I drive with a full face helmet and don't intend to throw it away. Possibly the best system for occasional track use, is to is to disconnect the SRS and use a full face helmet with a HANS device. Disaconnecting the SRS is not something that is easy to do as I understand it. I know you can buy a module that turns off the passenger side SRS, but don't know an easy way to turn off the driver SRS.

Mark writes, "I have not seen anyone suggest using a HANS with an open faced helmet.....well neither have I.

However we must remember that the DE driver, and or Time Trial participant, generally is not the customer for the HANS device...you only see it on drivers with dedicated track cars.

What about the DE driver, and or Time Trial participant driving a late model air bag equipped car, that is my concern, because in the final analysis, its all about me!

I know that the belts stretch in a crash...the scenario of being driven forward by negative G's and at the same time having the SRS bag going of in my face...
Old 02-17-2005, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to admit I'm somewhat skeptical of this announcement. Sure there are both pluses and minus to airbags. I'm reluctant to disconnect a proven safety device or go with less facial protection based upon such a vague and terse statement. Note the phrase "fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out." To be sure, very few types of injuries in a crash can be "ruled out." It doesn't sound like people actually getting fractured jaws.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 130 Posts

Another good excuse to get an RS (Momo) wheel!
Old 02-17-2005, 12:47 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Au Contraire Martin,

I am purely a DE'r in a street car and I am going to be getting a HANS setup this year. We've kind of hashed this a lot over on the racers section. I think we have to just realize that when we compromise, we have to make out best educated assessment and go with the appropriate percentages.
Obviously the safest setup is a dedicated track car with a full cage, no airbag, a properly installed racing seat and harness and a HANS and perhaps a condom.

I am electing to use a harness bar and a HANS and a full face helmet and my airbag. Of course there are certain situations where this combination might cause me death or dismemberment. BUT, I think for the majority of unscheduled events that might occur to me, I'll be better off.

It's a bugger, isn't it!
Old 02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Note: I am just the devil's advocate here. I drive with a full face helmet and don't intend to throw it away. Possibly the best system for occasional track use, is to is to disconnect the SRS and use a full face helmet with a HANS device. Disaconnecting the SRS is not something that is easy to do as I understand it. I know you can buy a module that turns off the passenger side SRS, but don't know an easy way to turn off the driver SRS.

Mark writes, "I have not seen anyone suggest using a HANS with an open faced helmet.....well neither have I.

However we must remember that the DE driver, and or Time Trial participant, generally is not the customer for the HANS device...you only see it on drivers with dedicated track cars.

What about the DE driver, and or Time Trial participant driving a late model air bag equipped car, that is my concern, because in the final analysis, its all about me!

I know that the belts stretch in a crash...the scenario of being driven forward by negative G's and at the same time having the SRS bag going of in my face...
Martin,
Try www.airbagonoff.com
Old 02-17-2005, 06:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

JP, what diameter is it? I assume 350? What did you do with the airbag light?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:00 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Mike,
that's the same wheel I installed. It is a bit smaller than stock and has a much better feel. I bought the part from www.airbagonoff.com to clear the airbag light. Will try to add the piece next week. According to Gert, a 2.8 ohm 1/2 watt resistor will do the trick. I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Hopefully this part will do the trick (about $30 for the piece).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Helmets in cars equipped with airbags...you will be surprised to learn that..