993 Forum 1995-1998

defensive driving in TX - 2 tickets

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defensive driving in TX - 2 tickets

Ok - after not haveing ANY tickets for 3 years, I have 2 in 2 weeks. I have no real explaination, only that I was careless. I just got my second last night.

I was planning on (and have sent info into the JP) taking defensive driving for the first one. I have 90 days in which to complete the course. Now that I have the second one, I wonder if I can't slide by with the defensive driving course satisfing both violations. I am sure I am not the first to try this, and would like a little advice from someone in the 'know'.

Pros -

Here is what I have going for me. Teh violations are in 2 rural communities in Texas. They probably are not all that sophisticated about this. They require that I order a driving history on myself, send insurance card, request a drivers safety course to satisfy the ticket. Of course, I have to submit the certificate from the course to the court to ultimately satisfy the obligation.

Cons- Back when I last took the defensive driving course, I think you only got 2 certificates - one for the insurance company and one for the court. This is a problem since I woul need to supply this to two seperate courts. I also think that the court copy is designated in a different manner than the insurance copy.

Any advice is appreciated. It would be sweet to have both taken care of with the same course. Obviously it would save me $$ not having to pay for defered adjudication to keep the second off my record.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Having been in a similar situation over the summer, I'd suggest you plead to the court of the 2nd ticket to allow you to take def. driving. Generally the rule is that you can take def. driving only once per year for ticket dismissal. But courts have the ability to waive that rule,allowing you to take it for that 2nd ticket. The court will generally allow this, so it is your best bet for getting out of both tickets.

You can ask them for Deferred Adjudication - which means that as long as you do not get another ticket within a specific amount of time (usually 6 mo. or so) then you are allowed to take def. driving for the original ticket. Looks like you are not interested in that avenue though?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Ice9
Track Day

When I lived in Austin I attempted to take one course for two different tickets in 2 different jurisdictions. The first ticket (near San Antonio) was easily erased after the course but the judge in Travis county (Austin) rejected the attempt. Instead she allowed me to take a second defensive driving course to satisfy my requirement in that county. A little ridiculous taking the same class twice but I guess the point is for you to "do the time". If it helps, I did the second course online so I could surf rennlist while the driver's ed class explained that I could drive more safely by removing my foot from the accelerator as I drove through corners!

My insurance company does not penalize for one ticket so if I had it to do all over again, I would just take one course to elimate the first ticket and let the other ticket appear on the record. Also, I think I kind of lucked out getting the two classes -- I don't think I could have engineered that outcome.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:13 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Kerry,

Now that I read you dilemma completely, I edited my post. Why do you want to risk it? The last thing you want is to get hauled off to jail when you least expect it on you way to meet buddies for lunch. It's happened, but not to me. I just take my defensive driving once a year to save on my car insurance and then plead deferred adjudication for any subsequent tickets. I figure I'm punishing myself for getting caught. BTW, I hardly get tickets in the pcar, it's mostly in my truck and old jeep.

George
Old 02-15-2005, 04:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Valentine One...

Usually gives me a mile or so notice. Never have come even close to a ticket since I got it. It has just saved me dozens and dozens of times....

i know it doesnt really help for you for this time, but maybe for next.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I went 8 years without one then I got written 4 times in a year and a half. I also talked my way out of 2 others with the CHP which is usually impossible. Same cars, same routes, just the odds catching up with me. Or it could have been the divorce....
Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Why would I want to take DD once for both tickets? Just in the interest of time, because I happen to have 2 tickets, and am committed to taking DD now. Seems like a good opportunity to get over before the computer age takes away every stinking angle a guy can use.

Oh and I HAVE a V1 - hardwired. It was OFF! I was not intending to spped at all...just got distracted.....

Quick Reply: defensive driving in TX - 2 tickets