Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 seats in 993 frustration, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
kmatts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 seats in 993 frustration, help!

Hey guys, I just received my brand new GT3 seats. I was told that these would simply bolt right up with ZERO modifications. I was told that they were for the 993/964 cars. In fact, the seats even have a 993/964 part number on them. Well, they do NOT fit. The seat rails on the GT3 seats, I believe, are for a 996. they are 2" longer and the holes do not match up. they are however the correct width. These sets also have a fixed pin in the rear of each rail, the 993 seats do not have these. I know Mark in Baltimore had no issues with his seats, but after looking at Mark's post with pictures, his seat rails are clearly much different than mine. (thank you Mark for taking such good pics)
any advice guys? i kinda feel like i got ripped off. apparently, it looks like i will need new rails. anyone have suggestions where to get them or what exactly i need?
Kyle....frustrated in Seattle.
I'll be using the GT3 seats as my sony playstation chairs tonight.....lets goGran Turismo.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that must be gut wrentching.

I remember the thread and although I didn't post, I was in the "Hmmm, I always heard GT3 seats wouldn't work" crowd.

With enough effort, I bet you can make them fit. You may have to "modify" the rails or the car, but I bet you can make it happen.
Please post pics!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm sure Mark in Baltimore will chime in here shortly. He put some in his 993 a while ago, so he could probably help you out.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:13 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the Brey Krause adapter brackets with normal 993 manual sliders was the hot ticket... I suspect that you can mount the 993 manual sliders to the 996 side brackets, but that the seat was too high then.

see http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9078.php and http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9079.php for brackets for some of the 996 adapters. I assume that if they bolt to the sliders it would be the same for the 993 or the 996. I know the sliders are different.

I have not done any of this, but have been watching for a while as I hope to do this eventually.

Pete
Old 02-11-2005, 12:05 AM
SMuCK007
Instructor

996 GT3 seats will fit into a 993. I copied down the instructions from another Rennlist member (I don't have the rennlist name, but his real name is Boris). There are also pictures, but I cannot post them. Here are the instructions I copied:

________________________________________________________________________ _
Bill of Materials:
----------------------
- 2 gt3 seats.
- 1 R-9079 Breay-Karuse Side Seat Mount Bracket (driver's side)
- 1 R-9078 Brey-Krause Side Seat Mount Bracket (passenger side)
- 2 sparco sliders
- 8 grade 8.8 bolts, locking nuts and washers.

Step 1:
----------------------
- Dremel the second hole from bottom (of the picture below) to slightly enlarge it. this is to get the Brey-Krause mount to align with the sparco slider. one side already fits and this one needs to be dremeled approx 1/3".

Step 2:
-----------------------
- Using bolt, locking nut & washer mount sparco sliders to brey-krause side mount.
- Do this for all four sliders.
- you will need to have 2 bolts/washers/nuts per slider.

Step 3:
-------------------------
- Assemble the set, put on the seat belt receptacle and slide on the center part of the sliders. see pics below.

Step 4:
----------------------------
- Mount sidemount/slider assembly to seat. this is a good time to point out the brey-krause adapters not only weigh less than the gt3 mounts/rails, but they also allow you tilt the seat back slightly. so mount it the way you'd prefer.

Step 5:
-----------------------------
- install seat with the four bolts that came with your original seats. please note that you orig. seats came with 6 per seat. these only use 4 per seat.

As a side note, this only gets the seat nice and low in the car. i'm guessing that you gain 1.5" of headroom. The flip side is if you are too short you may need to figure out how to space it up.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:35 AM
kmatts
Racer

thanks for the ideas guys....I'm going to take a good look at some of these possibilities.
I still have my stock 993 seats, so perhaps there is a way to make this work.
if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.
Kyle
Old 02-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

kmatts,

I have the B-K panels. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. As I posted before, my GT3 seats, which came directly out of a Boxster, fit just fine in my car except for the lack of headroom. The B-K side panels solved that problem. When I did my install, I noticed that if the rails that are perpendicular to the side panels are not 100% square, they can cause a misalignment with the interior points.

PM me with your phone number and maybe I can help you out.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is a bit tricky getting the rails to line up. Just be patient and go slow. Even with the correct hardware, it takes some trial and error getting them in.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:28 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hi guys... i have gt3 seats in my 993.

you are correct the 996/gt3 sliders are way too high for the 993. so even if you get them to fit (with some drilling) the seat will sit to high.

good news - easy easy solution. use the instructions posted with the following materials:

- 1 R-9079 Breay-Karuse Side Seat Mount Bracket (driver's side)
- 1 R-9078 Brey-Krause Side Seat Mount Bracket (passenger side)
- 2 sparco sliders
- 8 grade 8.8 bolts, locking nuts and washers.

and the instructions above are the ones i originally posted. it really takes about 20 mins/seat and they are in. these are awesome seats and well worth the install.

if you want to give me a call PM me and i'll give you my phone # and will walk you right through it.

if you need to buy the above parts - i suggest you give viperbob a call @ devek. they know exactly what to get.

the only alternative is to get the seats from gert - who has the special 993 version. as far as i know he is the only one who has the 993 seat.

hopefully that helps...

cheers,
boris
Old 02-11-2005, 02:12 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that you can also mount the seats directly to the floor to increase headroom....IIRC Brey Krause has the adapters that let you do this. Not sure what the part numbers are though...anybody??
Old 02-11-2005, 02:19 AM
kmatts
Racer

Ok guys, i took some pictures but I am unable to post.
anyone willing to let me email then and post for me?
the sliders on my seats are not the same as Mark's in Baltimore. they are quiet different.
thanks guys for all your help....
Kyle.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:30 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

kyle - send me the pics to borist@gmail.com and i can post them....
Old 02-11-2005, 04:41 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Relax! They DO and WILL fit!
1) remove the stop bars from the end of the rails. I think I drilled the rivit heads out.
2) Put seat belt holders on (i used the ones from the REAR of my car) but you'll figure that out
3) towards the transmission tunnel there are four or five bolt hole; some will be covered in carpet.
4) bolt the seats in using the FRONT mounting holes (use the ones closest to the front of the car) - you may be able to use either but there is no need
5) Align the rear bolt holes. They DO line up.

Finished!
http://www.aceparts.com/images/seats-grey2.jpg
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 AM
kmatts
Racer

Boris, I emailed you 2 pictures.
Cheers,
Kyle.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Kyle - All the info everyone has mentioned here is accurate. You can indeed get the rails on the seats to bolt up to your car. What will happen is that you will loose a little over an inch of headroom. Most people in the 993 do not want a reduction of headroom (especially if you ever wear a helmet), so they are generally installed with the Brey - Krause brackets. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions... 650.369.3383

You will love it when they finally are installed BTW

Quick Reply: GT3 seats in 993 frustration, help!