Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Paint or Not To Paint...Pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 10:55 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the biggest issue in doing this mod is whether or not to cut off the tabs used for mounting the factory grill. Removing them makes for an easier and slightly cleaner install...I decided to keep the tabs since I'm undecided whether to keep the mesh - this required trimming the mesh in some parts so that it would clear the tabs.

Last edited by David in LA; 02-06-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:40 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Kary - mine came from FVD as a large piece and I had to cut it down.

David - I agree and made the committment, but didn't remove the tabs in their entirety. I dremmeled them down so they will fit through the mesh holes and will provide some sort of support.

Thanks guys - looks like a real mixed bag. I've decided to paint it black, so we'll see what it looks like. I have enought mesh left over so I can replace it if the chipping becomes a real problem.

More Pics later.

-Skip
Old 02-06-2005, 11:42 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Skip - Did FVD have any black mesh? How about the hexagon/octagon mesh in addition to the diamond ones? Cost?

For my install I didn't really need any support. Initally I was going to use only one piece like the stock grill but in the end I used three seperate pieces...then bent it over the sides of the opening and siliconed it down. I also went a little mesh-crazy since I had some leftover pieces and put it on the Turbo S scoops as well
Old 02-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Sundeep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paint 'em !
Old 02-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip - looks great! Did you add a "kit" oil cooler, or make up your own? If you made up your own, please give us some details. I am planning on adding one this spring, and have not decided which way to go yet. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:52 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob - It is a kit cooler system from Jay Putnam down in Pompano Beach Florida. It is a cheaper setup than the cargraphic and will hopefully be as productive or even better at cooling. I won't know until the car is on the track this summer, but so far so good.

David - the mesh was part of the cooler kit I bought, but it did come in a FVD bag. Jay also spends some time working at FVD. WHat kind of silicone did you use? I was planning on using a strong epoxy, but am not sure which is the best solution.

I'll post more about the cooler setup later.

-Skip
Old 02-06-2005, 10:13 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by swftiii
David - the mesh was part of the cooler kit I bought, but it did come in a FVD bag. Jay also spends some time working at FVD. WHat kind of silicone did you use? I was planning on using a strong epoxy, but am not sure which is the best solution.
I used GE brand bathroom/waterproof silicon from Home Depot...comes in black and clear. I originally considered epoxy but went with silicon instead as it is much easier to remove and also because I was unsure how expoxy would react with the bumper material. The way I did mine was that I cut the mesh and folded the edges over the sides of the grill openings in the back...then "glopped" the silicon on top of the mesh liberally...I doubt that sucker will come off
Old 02-06-2005, 10:15 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

David - taking a break from the Super Bowl? Thanks for the information.

That is my last step before putting the bumper back on and being able to drive the car again. I'll look into it.

-Skip
Old 02-06-2005, 10:41 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by swftiii
David - taking a break from the Super Bowl? Thanks for the information.

That is my last step before putting the bumper back on and being able to drive the car again. I'll look into it.

-Skip
Unfortunately I'm in Hong Kong this week so am in the office working on a Monday morning

What paint are you going to use to paint the mesh black? Gloss, satin or flat? Please post pics once you're done.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:12 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't paint it!!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:29 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

looks cool unpainted! I'm playing with my bumpers now as well. Is the mesh aluminum? Would love insight on how you are attaching to the backside of bumper? tia, e
Old 02-07-2005, 12:11 AM
jz993
Racer

I think it looks fine unpainted. My only concern would be if the mesh is open enough to permit the same airflow as stock. Please post more pics when the car is reassembled. Nice work
Old 02-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

IMHO it actually looks OK in silver, as your car is black, though I would normally have immediately said to go with black. Given how cheap the whole project is why not invest in an extra bit of mesh paint it and see how they compare? If you are worried about chipping what about black powder coating which is a pretty tough finish.

Cheers,

David
Old 02-07-2005, 11:14 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with many of the others. On a black car, the contrast looks very clean unpainted.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay mounted my grills unpainted on my white car.

Quick Reply: To Paint or Not To Paint...Pictures...