Sponsored by:

speedline RS wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 AM
kmatts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedline RS wheels

Hey all, just wondering what a fair price to pay for a set of used speedline RS wheels is, any idea??? If by some incredible luck, you have some for sale....please PM me! thanks much, Kyle.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some are advertised at www.pwsukdirect.com for GBP 1650.

I doubt they are Speedline though..

Good luck
Old 02-03-2005, 03:24 PM
porkapig
Advanced

used on ebay a few weeks ago 890 gbp - i got outbid :-(
Old 02-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Nigel - UK 993C2
Track Day

Monique

You are right - the wheels on PWS's website are, unfortunately, not OE Speedlines - they'd be an absolute bargain if they were. I contacted PWS a month or so ago and was told:

"Nigel,

The wheels on the special offer page are no longer available I have asked our web site hosts to remove that page, sometimes it isn't there and some times it is.

We have replaced the 993 RS wheel with the RH RS 3 piece split rim, its a slightly different style but the sizes are 8x18 et50 front and 10x18 et52 rear, these are a nice fitment for RS as the wheels are moved out of the wheel arch slightly more than the OE wheels.

The cost for these are 1650.00 per set + vat and delivery and are NOT an OE Porsche wheel, but they do take the OE centre caps"

When he says 1650 he means GB Pounds 1650.

As an interesting aside, I was also told:

"Although we are a Speedline main dealer, we have never sold the OE Speedline for Porsche wheels as they are only available through Porsche dealers, not through the aftermarket chain.

They are also VERY expensive and although the wheels are made by Speedline they are made to a cost, so not as good quality as a Speedline aftermarket wheel !."

I don't know about the quality (mine are going ever so slightly furry under the lacquer around the bolts in a couple of places, but they are 9 years old) but they are certainly heavy. Last time I took my OE Speedlines off my RS I was reminded that they are heavy old things.

I hope this is of interest.

Nigel
Old 02-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nigel - UK 993C2
Monique

We have replaced the 993 RS wheel with the RH RS 3 piece split rim, its a slightly different style but the sizes are 8x18 et50 front and 10x18 et52 rear, these are a nice fitment for RS as the wheels are moved out of the wheel arch slightly more than the OE wheels.
I would check this carefully before buying. The Speedlines on the RS are 18 X 8 ET 52 up front and 18 X 10 ET 65 at rear.

On my car, with an aggressive suspension setup, the wheel clearance is very limited.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Nigel - UK 993C2
Track Day

Thanks Monique

I didn't proceed with the purchase as I was only after OE Speedlines.

Regards

Nigel
Old 02-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW.. Porsche commissioned Speedline with 2 sets of "Speedline for Porsche" for each car which left the factory with these fitted.

The supply is zilch as Porsche is sitting on all the spares.

If you can get Speedline branded wheels to the same tech specs as fitted.. then originality may have to suffer.... for the next trip to the pub!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:17 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The wheels on the special offer page are no longer available I have asked our web site hosts to remove that page, sometimes it isn't there and some times it is."

FYI, PWS told me the same thing literally *years* ago, so either they are playing games or their web host checks his email only every few years.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
kmatts
Racer

JC, PWS send me basically the same exact email they sent to Nigel, but they sent it YESTERDAY! poor sales tactic. i'm beginning to think i'm NEVER gonna find a set of wheels!!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:42 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Just curious, Does anyone know why Speedline doesn't make that RS wheel anymore. And also why Kinesis doesn't make the Supercup wheel anymore? Was PORSCHE putting the pressure on these companies to stop mfg them?

I would guess and hope that if you had damaged either of the wheels both mfgs would be able to fix them as long as the centers aren't damaged.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Alan Baylis
Advanced

The Supercup wheel we were making used the same center section for both 17 and 18" wheels which made the 18" wheels look small. Also many of the companies that cast wheels and wheel centers in the USA have decided to manufacture in Asia due to cost savings. We are redesigning and reengineering the Supercup wheel to be a reverse drop center 18" wheel which will have a center that is 2" larger in diameter than the old Supercup. The mold is being manufactured now and will be tested next month. For the existing Supercup owners that have a repair problem we are offering a buy back program to help offset the cost in getting into our existing forged wheels or the new Supercup when it becomes available.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:23 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Baylis
The Supercup wheel we were making used the same center section for both 17 and 18" wheels which made the 18" wheels look small. Also many of the companies that cast wheels and wheel centers in the USA have decided to manufacture in Asia due to cost savings. We are redesigning and reengineering the Supercup wheel to be a reverse drop center 18" wheel which will have a center that is 2" larger in diameter than the old Supercup. The mold is being manufactured now and will be tested next month. For the existing Supercup owners that have a repair problem we are offering a buy back program to help offset the cost in getting into our existing forged wheels or the new Supercup when it becomes available.
Alan - any preliminary pics of what they will look like? tentative weights, sizes and offsets?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyle,
I may be able to help; one of my neighbors has a set that he mounted for just a couple of months and they've been in boxes ever since. I looked the wheels over about a month ago because I thought I might want them - I couldn't find a single scratch on them anywhere.
PM me if you're interested and the price range you'd be open to paying - I'll then approach him to see if he'd be interested in selling.
Cheers,
Rick
Old 02-06-2005, 09:27 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I had briefly the Supercups with the 17" centers on my race car. They did look a bit funny with the small centers compared to the real ones I have on the cabrio and they were equally heavy. I really hope Kinesis makes them light now with the new centers. If so they will for sure be a winner for our cars...
Old 02-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a nice close shot of a 17" Kinesis wheel, if this helps anyone.

Quick Reply: speedline RS wheels