Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on new car order (logistics)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002 | 12:52 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post advice on new car order (logistics)?

Nope, I'm not buying a wasser-pumper! At least, not for me. And no, Ray, I'm not asking for people to help me decide which car to buy . My wife has the itch for a BMW, so I'm going to be parking a 330i next to the Porsche soon.

My concern is this -- I've been offered an attractive discount by an out-of-town dealer (Austin, I'm in Houston). I don't want to have to strangle the finance guy/salesman two months from now when I show up to sign for the car and $1,000 of 'fees' show up on the paperwork that weren't there when I placed my order.

I plan on getting a purchase order faxed to me, and writing the PO number and vehicle production number on my deposit check. Anything else you can suggest, besides strapping on a gun before I show up to close the deal?

thanks,

RNH
Old 10-07-2002 | 07:13 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Wink

When I ordered my Audi A4 Avant in '98 (try to find one with Sport suspension, Sport seats, and 3 pedals on the floor), I got an order agreement signed by the dealer; included agreed-on car price and all fees on it. When car finally came (5 months later!!!!!), I paid what was on that paper.

Personally, I would go down there and get the paperwork done in person.
Old 10-07-2002 | 07:31 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Anything else you can suggest, besides strapping on a gun before I show up to close the deal?
Robert if you already feel that way about the dealer, maybe you shouldn't buy the car there. From my experiences if you show up at a dealer with that "chip" on ya shoulder guess what! yep. they get a "chip" and pretty soon everyone is taking "chip" shots at everyone.
If you do not want the perma plate, warrenties etc. just say NO
Heck when I bought my P car and Jag, I was offered all of the aftermarket products, I just siad No to each one?.. You can't blame a salesmen for asking! (no flames intended)Only Place I have never had the chance to decline those aftermarket items....Yep at my dealership!!
Old 10-07-2002 | 08:37 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Thumbs up

Robert,
I bought my wife a 325i last Christmas from Momentum, I have to say they treated me fairly. I was surprised as they are kind of a "slick" operation (having had a bad experience with them when I tried to order my 996 back in '99). Ask for Tom Butcher in BMW sales, if he's still there...you know how car salesmen move around.
Old 10-07-2002 | 08:48 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

It must be test driven before the deal is closed. As luck would have it, I'm in Austin and will be glad to take it for a spin. Or, if you want, I'll be glad to help in any other way that I can with the dealer.
Old 10-07-2002 | 10:23 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Robert Henriksen:
<strong>Nope, I'm not buying a wasser-pumper! At least, not for me. And no, Ray, I'm not asking for people to help me decide which car to buy . My wife has the itch for a BMW, so I'm going to be parking a 330i next to the Porsche soon.

My concern is this -- I've been offered an attractive discount by an out-of-town dealer (Austin, I'm in Houston). I don't want to have to strangle the finance guy/salesman two months from now when I show up to sign for the car and $1,000 of 'fees' show up on the paperwork that weren't there when I placed my order.

I plan on getting a purchase order faxed to me, and writing the PO number and vehicle production number on my deposit check. Anything else you can suggest, besides strapping on a gun before I show up to close the deal?

thanks,

RNH</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think Robert an upfront request of the total expenses (fees, taxes, licence plate etc) before you close the deal is a must.
When I purchased my M3 from BMW North they quoted me a price which ofcourse did not include the "hidden charges". I immediately responded that what i wanted to hear is the total price and total out of pocket expences. They accepted without a problem to disclose as they should the total charges should the deal take place.
The only thing they asked me is how much I would put down which is fare enough and then they did disclose everything and the deal went very smooth.

Quick Reply: advice on new car order (logistics)?