Sponsored by:

Fixed The Problem with my xequipped HID lights - Headlight Was Not Focused

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Fixed The Problem with my xequipped HID lights - Headlight Was Not Focused

Fred and I installed the HID’s today and as soon as it was dark I took the car for a test ride. The right side light was perfect. But the left side was washed out. I took it a part to see if it was seated correctly and it was. Put everything back together and it still had the washed out look.

I then switched the bulbs and found the same problem on the left side. It appears that the left side headlight is not focused.

I switched the igniters too and still the same.

Ends up that the interior half lens was dirty. The standard lights didn't show it but the HID's magnified it and caused the light to be distorted. A pain to clean but well worth it. Now I've got to wait until dark again.

The first photo is the right side light being shinned on a paper bag a foot in front of the headlight.

The second photo is the left side. You can see how the right side is focused and the left side is washed out.

The third photo shows the lights as they shine on the road.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 03-23-2005 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Figured out the problem was not the HID's
Old 03-23-2005, 01:18 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How'd you clean inside the lens? Did you take it apart?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:49 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Photos are not working for me...
Old 03-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I’ll fix the photos this evening. I used a moist cotton ball and carefully reached around from the back to wipe off the front of the lens. It is a very tight fit and you can only get a finger in there to wipe it with. I used a slim grabber tool with a moist cotton ball attached to it to clean the rear. Due to the tight quarters this is was not easy but it seemed to fix my problem. However, another problem that can cause a focus problem is when the bulb is not seated properly. Make sure that the retainer clip that holds the bulb in is affixed properly and holding the bulb flush to the housing. Good luck..
Old 03-23-2005, 09:55 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Herer is the cure for the clip problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/166907-fix-for-light-bulb-clip-retainer.html

Quick Reply: Fixed The Problem with my xequipped HID lights - Headlight Was Not Focused