V1 Radar Detector: POP radar and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V1 Radar Detector: POP radar and upgrade

Since a lot of us have V1 detectors I was wondering if people are sending them in to Valentine to have the POP upgrade. When I ran my serial number on their website it showed mine as not having the POP firmware or whatever they called it. I'm not very well informed about electronics so I'm not sure I need this upgrade. From reading their website about the upgrade I got the impression the upgrade had something to do with having less false reports. But on another board I read the following:

“Pop radar use DSP technology that allows the radar to get a reading with releasing only a very short burst of energy, making undetectable by most radars detectors.”

So the real question is do I need to have it upgraded to have the best protection possible? In other words do I need to get the upgrade because it will result in my V1 telling me I'm being monitored sooner than without the upgrade.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Got mine for X-mas 04,hope it has it !
Old 01-22-2005, 08:20 PM
jnor10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same camp as Ron. Quoting V-1's website:

"Full Coverage on POP—covers POP on two bands—specifically the MPH Industries models BEE III (Ka band) and Enforcer (K and Ka)"

So, the only way to know if you need this upgrade is to know what the local "enforcement" is using for detection; ie; K or Ka. If you can verify their using K or Ka then it would likely be worth the upgrade. Also, if you travel in your car, then your covered for the unknown variables .

Hmmmm, more upgrades to consider!

Jeff
Old 01-22-2005, 11:43 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was 4 or 5 years old so I just did the upgrade in December. They send you back a brand new unit, seems a tad smaller for some reason. Also they send all new accessories...so if your window stick on thing was busted, like mine was, it is a great bonus.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:25 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I sent mine in Dec for the upgrade which took about 2 weeks before I got it back. It could have been a new unit but I think it was my old unit just cleaned up as it has the same serial number. I don't know if you really need to get the new upgrade. What I have found is that since the upgrade, the unit goes off like mad at every shopping center. I would say that it's at least 50% more sensitive to signals than it was before the upgrade. Unfortunately most of these signals are from automatic doors. The upside is that the re worked unit comes with a new 1 yr warranty. So essentially you get a new unit for $55.00
Old 01-23-2005, 09:12 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I sent mine in Dec for the upgrade which took about 2 weeks before I got it back. It could have been a new unit but I think it was my old unit just cleaned up as it has the same serial number.
That's odd, because their website says once you go thru the ordering process that they send you a new unit with new accessories...

Also I overnighted mine on Monday and had it back by Thursday...they will ship back via the same method you ship it in.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Got mine for X-mas 04,hope it has it !
Yours should be LAG (latest and greatest)

If you want to be sure, go to their website and click upgrade, and enter your serial number. It will tell you what version you have.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:48 AM
sonny1
Banned

Didn't have no problem whatsoever with my update,no false alarms,fast turn around time,etc.,first class company.,cheers,Sonny.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Midnight Rider
Racer

I just bought the passport 8500 X 50, I assume it is up to date with what is being discussed in this thread???
Old 01-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I posted my question on the Radar Detector Fourms, too, and below is a response I received from "V1 Dave":

POP is a burst option on the new Bee III gun that only lasts about 66 milliseconds.

It was supposed to be radar detector proof but we are catching on.

Not less falses but actually more tends to want to pick up every radar detector on the road. V1 seems to be the best at ignoring falses with this although if it bugs you after upgrade there is a code to turn it off.

Only used in a few states Nev. PA. are some

I head from Roy that Nev. is having trouble with the guns so it might not last.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:09 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm....My upgrade came back 1st class. This wasn't a concern as I have another V1. But the unit that came back was not a "new" unit. The circuitry had been updated, it was clean and a new 1 yr warranty, essentially a new unit but I didn't get any accessories with it. It goes off more in the city now than before the update, but I can live with it. I think it's still one of the best units and it's save me many times so it's V1 for me.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM
JPL 993-C4S
Instructor

The time I sent mine in to be upgraded they definitely sent back a new unit, as the new one was slightly smaller. But the one I mailed in was over 10 years old (bought that unit in high school, hard to imagine driving without V1). I'd imagine if your trade-in is more recent they might not need to replace the whole unit.

I notice that whenever I drive through PA (on the PA Turnpike) they have K-band false alarms emitting from roadside construction signs every 10 miles or so...... with so many emitters it is basically impossible to judge when there might be a real speed trap unless you get a Ka reading.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found this on the Radar Dector Forum, thought it would be of interest.

At least two tests found the V1 to have less filtering with the POP. Autoweek and Radarbusters.

See link from Radarbusters.com

http://radarbusters.com/support/product-tests/3.asp
Old 02-02-2005, 07:27 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would have to agree as mine falses more than ever -but it's still good at picking up the real time.

Quick Reply: V1 Radar Detector: POP radar and upgrade